$8.30 stamps - do they exist?

Since the updated stamp prices, large letters international went up to $8.30 (previously $7.50). Ever since then I have been trying to purchase some $8.30 stamps, while using up my old ones and just adding small stamp denominations to make up correct postage. At first the post office said they hadn't got them in yet so I just kept asking each time. Now they are saying they don't think Australia Post is making/printing them because their other new international stamps (the $3.20 for a small letter up from $3.00) are in now but they weren't sent any $8.30 ones. I looked on the AP online store and they only have the small letter ones available too. Has anyone been able to purchase a single $8.30 stamp since the increase? Why would they decide not to print stamps for a fairly common postal item?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Maybe AP is printing a lot of 80c stamps to go with the $7.50 stamp.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

According to the Aust Post site - there is no $8.30 stamp.     I couldn't buy $2.30 ones last week from my local, so have ordered them online.    I have plenty of the $3.  international stamps so can use $3 + $3 + $2.30

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Yeah I've been making up the correct amounts but it seems strange they'd not make an 8.30 one especially since it's a pretty popular service. When it changed to 7.50 they had those stamps in right away.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I've been making the $8.30 with the 3+3+2.30, ready for the next instalment in the saga ... AP have now stopped making the $3, so now I'm working on $2.50x2 + $3.20 + $0.10. Haven't sent any yet, but real estate on the front of my envelopes is limited, as I'm sure everyone's is
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Maybe you will have to resort to over-lapping the stamps. Make sure the value of each stamp stays visible.

Or better yet, switch to DHL eCommerce.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

IIRC regular domestic stamps can be used on international post but they will cost more (international stamps don't include GST but domestic stamps include it as part of the cost).

I haven't used stamps on international items before but you could probably use a $7.50 international stamp and plonk an old stock domestic $1 stamp on there to make up the rest - it's not like the $1 stamps are really useful for much else these days. A $1 domestic stamp should technically be worth 90c + 10c GST. Of course though, just ask the post office if you're unsure whether a $1 stamp (or $1.10 if need be) can be used.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hi,

I sent off a parcel overseas recently and the Post assistant attached several different stamps to bring it up to the $8.30.

I remember thinking I hope the person who I was sending it to liked to collect stamps because she just got a boat load of Aussie ones :0)

So I don't think it matters using the $7.50 ones so long as you make up the difference with smaller denominations.

Jenny
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply