A Bit Cheeky... ?

I want to preface this by saying I've already decided how to handle this, but also.... I'm procrastinating (unwisely) before getting stuck into a couple of hours work before bed, and was just a little curious to see how others would react to it.

So, the situation is, I sold an item earlier this year, 8 months ago in fact, and around 2 months after the sale, I received a message saying that it had broken and a replacement was requested. I was happy to oblige, and posted off a postage-paid bag so that they could return it to me at no expense.

I then never heard from them again.

Until today, when I received the item in the mail, postmarked 7th December. No note, letter, eBay message or email, just the item (which was, effectively, broken). 

I don't have an express warranty on my products (this was one of my handmade items), but they are intended to withstand a good bit of use, plus I want to know if/when they don't so I can improve them wherever possible, but the 6-month delay in contact to receiving the item back, with the apparent expectation the replacement offer is still good has struck a bit of a nerve, particularly as there was absolutely no contact from the buyer once I replied and let them know the pre-paid bag was on the way. 

I'm going to replace it, because in actual fact I expect these particular items to last longer than 8 months myself, but I'm still (irrationally?) miffed. 

What say you....if anything at all? Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: A Bit Cheeky... ?

Ok digital*ghost, what do you sell?, i dont go in full site often, and when i do and touch your name ( sounds kinky dont it 😉
You dont have any listings, ( yes i realise that you use this id as posting).
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
worse still they hung on to the original packing for 8 months ....really who does that unless you are a scammer.

I've been hanging around the boards since I first joined eBay in 2002 & am well known, & liked, by quite a few present & former boardies. I've hung on to some packaging from items I've bought over the years. Some of it I'm storing stuff in & some I'm keeping in case it comes in handy one day to put something in. Does that make me a scammer? I don't think so. 

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

if you are keeping it for the purpose of sending something back 8 months later yep afraid so
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@bakeandfry wrote:
Ok digital*ghost, what do you sell?, i dont go in full site often, and when i do and touch your name ( sounds kinky dont it 😉
You dont have any listings, ( yes i realise that you use this id as posting).

Mostly jewellery, but while I won't say explicitly here and now, this was a more practical kind of item, used to secure things, and crafted primarily from steel, so that might help show why I (and my buyers) have the expectation that it would last a decent amount of time. 

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I think its an absolute credit to you that pride in your own work and artistry takes priority over commercial gain.

It says much about your integrity & character.

You are a true Artist digi..........Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

shucks

Thank you Heart Heart

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

I'm intrigued how you were meant to know who the parcel came from.

I realise you sent them a pre paid return bag but I am assuming it didn't have their address on it?

So without their address or an enclosed note, and many months after the initial contact, how can they assume you will know who it is from or that you will still have access to their records?

It is all credit to you that you have remembered.

For myself, I would be inclined to hold onto it for at least a month and see if they do contact you, asking about the replacement.

If they do, just reply you got it but could not know who on earth it was from as it had no cover letter.

If I never did hear from them, I am afraid i would not send a replacement.

-----------------------------------

If you do decide to send it off right now (which i think is what you are planning on doing) I would enclose a stiff letter.

They can't hurt you now, with bad feedback or anything else. Just say that a cover note would have been courteous and they were lucky you have so few returns that you were able to remember them or find their address.

That 6 months after a return has been discussed is usually too late but as a special concession you will exchange it this time-but they're lucky!!

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

That 6 months after a return has been discussed is usually too late but as a special concession you will exchange it this time

I would add something like that also. Just to give them a reality check..that refunds/replacing after 8 months from sale date (or several months after the reply paid bag was posted to them to return the item in) is not the norm.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

DG, you obviously take pride in the product you make, and go the extra mile to look after customers and keep them happy. I am a little miffed, and curious, about one thing though.

Why do you not like to divulge exactly what you sell, or post on here using your ebay selling name ? Wouldn`t it be good for business if others in the forum knew who you were ? I can only vouch for myself, but I`m pretty sure others would agree, if I was after something that you sell, I`d preferably buy it from you rather than another eBayer, as I`d feel confidant I was going to receive it and have a good customer experience.

Unfortunately, as I really have no idea what you sell, or what your eBay name is, I also have no idea if I want/need whatever it is you sell. As I said, just curious as to the reasoning behind it thats all

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

@pickapresent13 wrote:

DG, you obviously take pride in the product you make, and go the extra mile to look after customers and keep them happy. I am a little miffed, and curious, about one thing though.

Why do you not like to divulge exactly what you sell, or post on here using your ebay selling name ? Wouldn`t it be good for business if others in the forum knew who you were ? I can only vouch for myself, but I`m pretty sure others would agree, if I was after something that you sell, I`d preferably buy it from you rather than another eBayer, as I`d feel confidant I was going to receive it and have a good customer experience.

Unfortunately, as I really have no idea what you sell, or what your eBay name is, I also have no idea if I want/need whatever it is you sell. As I said, just curious as to the reasoning behind it thats all

Well... The short answer is I never wanted to generate interest in my items via posting in the forum, I kid you not when I say that one of my underlying thoughts regarding my items and their sale is that if someone who would like them is meant to find them and buy them, they will, so I feel no incentive to do anything that garners interest via a forum where all I'm trying to do is learn, help and discuss. (I don't mean that to suggest I don't do any marketing at all, though, just that that's not what I want to do here, and it means I can talk about my items - almost - freely without it looking like I'm giving the forum a hard sell 😄 ). 

That, plus mild neuroses with a dash of paranoia.  

ninjaaa

Longer answer in the spoiler. Smiley Embarassed

Spoiler

The fact is I never felt comfortable posting here with my selling ID (I did start out using it to post here, some years back, but I always felt like I was putting my delicates drawer on the table and inviting people to look through it. Smiley LOL Smiley Embarassed I ran fortnightly auctions only back then, and always avoided the forums entirely whenever I had anything listed).

I created this ID to ask a sensitive question, started using it for my buying activity, and found I could relax more and not filter what I say when posting if I didn't have to worry about what anyone thought about my items or listings, or wouldn't go take a look at them if I said something related to selling. (I realise that might sound lame to some people, and I expect a few will think it silly, but I simply can't help it, and I've posted with my selling ID a couple of times since I established this one as my posting ID and felt even more strange just because most people are familiar with this ID - a lot of people do actually know my selling ID, but it strangely feels like going incognito when I use it now, and my posts come out unintentionally formal and stiff, sometimes to the point of being snide, which I don't like).  

And....why don't I be explicit about I sell, well, the fact is is I was more explicit, it would reveal my selling ID completely because I'm the only one in Oz with a store who does what I do to the extent that I do, and while I don't actually have any qualms about divulging my selling ID in the majority of cases, (I have told everyone who's asked, several who haven't, and never took any great measures to protect the ID, short of not being explicit about it and my items in the public forum), the notion that my selling account is at greater risk due to forum activity is very hard for me to shake, as while it doesn't happen too often, people taking offence to something someone said and trying to sabotage a seller's feedback etc does happen - you don't even have to say something offensive, I have seen it happen to someone when they tried to help an OP quite politely, but it was misunderstood and the OP immediately went and bought something to leave bad FB, and I don't trust eBay enough to recognise such an instance and support me (certainly not easily) if my FB is sabotaged. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply