AUCTION VS GTC !!??

5kazam
Community Member

Currently, I am more than pleased that all BINS are now GTC.  I have sold more pieces on AUCTION in the last few weeks than I think I sold the previous 12 months.  (Australian Pottery for those who don’t have a need to take a squiz at what I have listed.)

It seems that Auctions are now getting a look in.  I list for 7 days, no auto relist (to take advantage of the $1 weekend promotion – how long that goes for is anyone’s guess!!)

The whole GTC thing reminds me of when I was super naïve about how eBay worked (now I’m only naïve). 

I used to have FREIGHT on all my listings, as I didn’t know which part of Australia my items would be going to, so figured I couldn’t put a post cost up there, as they were all different shapes, sizes and weights.  (eg. Vic cheap, WA dear, NT horrendous, and I’ve sent to all those places, still do). 

One day I bored myself stupid by going through all the listings on Australian Pottery – and hey! FINALLY found my listings on pages 98-99 of 100 pages.  (Instant learning curve there!!)

So I’m wondering if my former FREIGHT option is now effectively the same as GTC.

It’s the only thing I can think of as to why I’ve suddenly sold so many ‘stale’ items recently, and why a lot of you are saying sales are dead.

Just putting a thought out there.

(I hope I haven’t put the mozz on myself with this post)

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

I can't really offer an opinion here but I too have made a few sales lately which puzzles me TBH (not that I'm complaining). I'm sure this time last year I was flatlining.

I put something up for auction last week that I was sure would net me $80+, as someone else sold the same item for that amount the previous week (there was a bidding war)... only to find that no-one even bidded (bid?) on mine. The flippin' 'eck? Typical Ebay I suppose.

Good on you for making some sales! 🙂

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Thank you for your congrats.  

Re your item didn't get a bid - I once listed a pair of collectable Swagman Pottery S&P's.  Started at around $25 (from memory).  Sold for $225.  Found another pair a few years later, and thought, okay....!!!!  Made a bit eventually, but sold for $50.

I really think that comes down to right buyer, right time.  Not necessarily an eBay thing.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Oh, and I used to have a good run up to Christmas, last one.....zilch. Then I used to also have a good January (after people had sorted their CC's after Christmas...... this year zilch.

It's only since GTC has come in that I've had so many sales.

But I'm certainly not whinging. Freeing up a lot of storage space in the garage.
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Good on you.

I agree, I have put a few on auction and they have sold as opposed to BIN.

Admittedly I reduced the price for the auctions but some have gone over the initial BIN.

BTW, do you ever see any Vagn Nykel pottery ?

image host
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Thank you.

And I do see it occasionally.  I'll keep you in mind when I find the next piece.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Sorry for the short reply before.  The Nykel bit got me. Smiley Very Happy  

You are getting my drift though, that things are selling on auction - where they haven't been for soooo long.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

No, I appreciate succinct replies. All good.

And yes perhaps the whole GTC thing has lit the fire under auctions again.

We wanted to market a product V. Nykel produced in the 1980's when we imported Scandinavian giftware.

Be nice if I can get a couple.

They were a coffee cup on a little stand that can accommodate a tea candle underneath.

I know it's a long shot but if you do see anything let me know. Cheers.

image host
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Eyes are now peeled.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

AUCTION VS GTC !!??

Um, what is GTC?

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply