Accused of selling counterfeit LV bag by ebay

Has this happened to anyone else? Ebay removed my listing even though it is a genuine bag that I bought from my local LV store. There is no link for me to prove the item is real. Who decides if the item is real or not?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ebay set up an authentication service for sneakers and handbags:

You should read here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/selling-tools/ebay-authenticity-guarantee?id=4644&mkevt=1&mkcid...

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Was it priced over $350

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I think there is now also a private group for handbags where you can possibly ask: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Authenticated-Handbags/cmp-p/grouphub:AuthenticatedHandbags

I don't think that when they remove a listing they really accuse you to sell a counterfeit item. They just want you to prove it is authentic (see link provided by jelly).

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I got an email that stated โ€œWe removed this item to protect you and your buyers, because we believe it is likely to be counterfeit.โ€ There was no return email or any help in order for me to prove it is authentic and I am unable to relist it. I have the original lv receipt but if I do a new listing I risk getting running into problems with ebay as they think itโ€™s not authentic. Not sure what looked unauthentic in the photos or maybe a buyer complained saying itโ€™s a fake. Apparently they can take it off no questions asked.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

You have to go through this process: https://pages.ebay.com.au/authenticity-guarantee-handbags-seller/

Unfortunately, if you don't live near a place where they can "physically authenticate" your item, it can become difficult to sell designer items on eBay.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

if you do get to list the bag you may be the target of scammers.

There are plenty of scams they could use against you.

One involves

- buying your bag

- making a claim for โ€˜Not as Describedโ€™ when it arrives

- sending and old knock-off bag back to you

getting a refund if they can show tracking for returned the bag

You end up without the original bag and without any payment.  Plus, you will have refunded the original postage and paid for the return postage.

If you live in a major city you would be better off with โ€˜pick up onlyโ€™ on such an item.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@k1ooo - that's why sellers of high end handbags need to go through the Authentication system.

Items are sent to an authentication hub. As well as the inspection, any extras such as protector covers etc, are all logged and then a unique identifier/security tag is generated. The handbag, its components and security tag are then sent onwards to the buyer with Express Post and Signature. This way there can be no dispute against either authenticity or condition.

If the buyer wishes to return it, it is sent back to the authentication centre, not the seller.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay is judge, jury and lord high executioner.  You run afoul of some algorithm and it's game over

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply