Advice Please - eBay postage labels and B1 Boxes

Hi.  I have never looked into purchasing eBay postage labels as 90% of my items are sent as large letters.  But after reading that it only costs $7.15 to send up to 1kg in a B1 box, I am after some advice about this option, or are there any reasons why not to use the option for a parcel above 500 grams (but under 1 kg) which I would normally send in a 3kg bag for about $12.80.

The situatioon I have at the moment is also a bit different to the norm, where one buyer has purchased 4 items separately but I would like to send all in a B1 box using eBay postage label.  I assume I print the label for one of the 4 items, but can I copy the tracking number for the other 3?

Also can you use your own packaging rather than purchase a B1 box, providing the dimentions are the same or smaller?

Any tricks or pitfalls when printing the label?

Your pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I use the BX1 boxes on the odd occasion, it's pretty good value and basically the only eBay label I ever purchase (BX box prices are a lot more expensive via C&S - I think the 1kg one is only just under the 3kg satchel price with them Smiley Surprised, but I get discounts on other postage services if I buy from AP directly). 

When someone makes separate payments but I combine, I refund excess postage from the lowest-priced item so that I can remain fully covered for seller protection on the highest possible amount, so would do similar for multiple items (if postage was charged). 

You are supposed to only use AP's boxes, I think it's part of the deal for getting the discounted postage rate because their boxes aren't too cheap unless you buy a couple of hundred at once (they also tend to be a few grams heavier than others of the same size). I know other sellers have used generic boxes without issue, but I just buy the AP ones. 

Sometimes eBay will let you add the same number to multiple items, sometimes they won't, I usually do it via Selling Manager Pro and just use the 'Add tracking number' link from there (I personally find it's more hit and miss if you use the link from the normal selling view, strangely). 

eBay labels can only print one to a page, even though they only take up a quarter of a page. You can switch the orientation to landscape to print two if you ever need to do more than one - I use clear document pouches to protect them when I attach them to the boxes, as printed labels are very susceptible to damage (water, etc) - there's some small ones you can get that only just fit a label inside, which are worth looking at if you'll use a lot, but taping down should work well enough too.  

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

The boxes cost about $1.40 each for a pack of 20 and about half that for a pack of 200. I think they are supposed to be used to get the flat rate. 

Items purchased seperately are supposed to be sent seperately and if cases are opened against you for each seperate order you will only be able to provide proof to ebay for one transaction. The same tracking number can usually be uploaded to different orders, but may not be possible in an open case.

The lables print out easy enough, I find it a pain to do when there are only one or two. I use the 500g and 3Kg satchels as well, there is also a 1KG express satchel availbale now. I buy all my satchels on ebay (form 3rd parties)  which usually saves about 20%, coupled with all the vouchers ebay hands out it becomes quite a bit cheaper. 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I send about 20 B1 boxes a year.

They are the only REAL value with eBay labelling. I have never been bitten by sending multiple items by the least cost option (I refund the excess), and heartily recommend B1 boxes.

Especially when I got a $20 discount and my last lot of 20 cost $11.60. 58c each. Real bonus!

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Many thanks for all this helpful information.  I will give it a go.

However I am keen to understand the issue with refunds for excessive postage and the impact on seller protection.  As mentioned. the buyer has paid for 4 items individually and I would normally refund based on my quoted combined post costs for 4 items less the 30 cents charged by paypal for individual payments .  So if I refund 3 of the 4 items, how is my seller protection affected?  If it is paypal seller protection, I have never had a seller go down a paypal resolution - they all go the eBay resolution and I find it impossible to fight these unless tracking shows the item was delivered.  I am more concerned in my example about late deliverys and being able to use the tracking number to priove lodgement for all 4 items.  If I send them individually, they would be at letter rates anyway so no tracking.

"

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Basically, 4 separate orders will (officially) require 4 different tracking numbers / documentation acting as proof of post (or delivery, in the case of eBay). Recently, there was a situation noted in the forum where a seller had sold 95 separate items to a buyer in another country, and the buyer made (from memory) 3 separate payments for all of them. The buyer opened ebay cases on each item, and as the seller only had one tracking number, the cases were resolved differently (yet, sadly, all resulted in becoming 'case closed without seller resolution' defects).

I'll have a look for the thread and link to it in a post, as it's worth knowing what's possible in such circumstances.

I just do the above (re: refunding from the lowest value item), so that if it ever comes down to it, I can willingly take a hit on the lowest cost item and protect myself on the highest cost item (more difficult when there's more than one item to be combined, though). I actually tend to only add the tracking number to the highest value item as well, but advise the buyer all items were sent together when I issue the refund for excess postage (late shipments aren't so much of a concern for me personally, and likewise most of my stuff goes as large letters).

It would take a fairly special kind of person to see that all items were sent together and then try to get refunds via INR disputes once received (some may not even be aware it's a possibility), especially because even though eBay or PayPal may rule against the seller, it doesn't mean the buyer can't be reported to higher authorities. 

ETA: Link to the thread I mentioned above: http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/How-to-lose-your-eBay-account-over-ONE-dishonest-buyer/m-p/1...

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I don't mess about. I state very clearly in my listings that combined postage discounts are only available on items paid for together on a single invoice and that if items are paid for individually they will be treated as single orders and will be posted separately and that is exactly what I do.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I don't mess about. I state very clearly in my listings that combined postage discounts are only available on items paid for together on a single invoice and that if items are paid for individually they will be treated as single orders and will be posted separately and that is exactly what I do.

If items are going as parcels (and therefore parcel rates charged / paid for on each item), the risk is increased if you combine, but at unregistered letter rates, you either risk all at full amount paid, or combine and reduce risk. 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for the clarification.  That situation with the 95 overseas transactions was awful and its so hard to understand why eBay would not accept her position.

I will refund against only one of the 4 items purchased, but will add the tracking number to all 4 items if eBay will let me.  I have never had a problem using the same tracking number against multiple and separate purchases that were combined when shipped so hopefully it will all work out.

Many thjanks to others also for their advice

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Package everyting together, it saves on everything. I don't bother refunding because I have to make up stories about paypal taking $0.30 for each lot and then the rest, by the time thats over it has cost more. I usually upgrade the postage if someone feels the need to make a million orders.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply