Advice about using a courier

I am going to be switching from AusPost to using couriers soon. I would love some advice from anyone using a courier service.

What do yo add to your ads to make sure (as much as possible) buyer know you are using a courier service?

Do you offer ( at an extra cost) AusPost for those unable or unwilling to use a courier service or just stop selling to them? If so do you allow posting to PO Boxes or will ths just causse problems?

Any pitfalls/problems you encountered use a courier rather than AusPost?

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

I have started using couriers for some items. I have been checking the cost of AP verse Courier. For items over 1kg courier services normally work out cheaper. I hasve noted on listings in this category that the item will be sent via courier so no PO Boxes. with a note if this is an issue contact me.

I have not explored the many service available, however have been happy with sendle.  Easy to use as everything is handled online. Just have to be careful as they are expensive to remote areas so I then revert to Aust Post.  Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 51
Latest reply

@6508.froggy wrote:

I have started using couriers for some items. I have been checking the cost of AP verse Courier. For items over 1kg courier services normally work out cheaper. I hasve noted on listings in this category that the item will be sent via courier so no PO Boxes. with a note if this is an issue contact me.

I have not explored the many service available, however have been happy with sendle.  Easy to use as everything is handled online. Just have to be careful as they are expensive to remote areas so I then revert to Aust Post.  Hope this helps.

Yes sendle is who I will start with just working out the best packaging to use, with them, I do plan to check out using a specific courier service but then I have been planning to look since February. 

My main concern is trying to make sure it is clear I am using a courier without printing it in large letters on the top of each posting.The other thing I am considering is to offer courier free post and Auspost for $7-10 (mainly so people can get deliveries to PO boxes if needed) just not sure if that will cause me a headache. I did notice the cost of rural areas was more so Auspost would still be the way for them

Thank you for the feedback 

Message 3 of 51
Latest reply

We use a combination of couriers and AP. Couriers don't deliver to all areas whereas AP do.

With the items we send using a courier we use the Authority to Leave so as to not inconvenience the buyer if they are not home at the time of delivery as buyers can get very upset if they are to travel a long way to collect their parcel from a depot.

Message 4 of 51
Latest reply

@jensmanchester-australia wrote:

We use a combination of couriers and AP. Couriers don't deliver to all areas whereas AP do.

With the items we send using a courier we use the Authority to Leave so as to not inconvenience the buyer if they are not home at the time of delivery as buyers can get very upset if they are to travel a long way to collect their parcel from a depot.

The main reason I want to start using a courier is to avoid Authority to leave (unless the buyer requests it) AusPost just leave a parcel now unless you pay for SoD which of course increases the price by $2:95. It is to risky having an item just left outside someone door IMHO. Most people in a fairly built up area should be relatively close to a depo (at least I hope) The items I sell are unlikely to be purchased by people living rurally so hopefully want be a big problem but thank you I will definitely consider that 

Message 5 of 51
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

The main reason I want to start using a courier is to avoid Authority to leave (unless the buyer requests it) AusPost just leave a parcel now unless you pay for SoD which of course increases the price by $2:95. It is to risky having an item just left outside someone door IMHO. Most people in a fairly built up area should be relatively close to a depo (at least I hope) The items I sell are unlikely to be purchased by people living rurally so hopefully want be a big problem but thank you I will definitely consider that 

At least 70% of our parcels have authority to leave on them and in the last 12 months I have only had one go walkabout after it was delivered. Yes it is a risk but the risk is miminal. I have had more parcels either lost within the system or misdelivered than have been stolen after delivery.

Message 6 of 51
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

At least 70% of our parcels have authority to leave on them and in the last 12 months I have only had one go walkabout after it was delivered. Yes it is a risk but the risk is miminal. I have had more parcels either lost within the system or misdelivered than have been stolen after delivery.

I have not been as lucky I am pretty sure you are posting a lot more than me (currently only about 5 parcel a day) and I had one go missing. That is the main reason for me to get on to using a courier. If a customer wants it safe dropped they can request it but I want to make sure the parcel is delivered, that is what I pay for with AusPsot I would have to pay an extra $3, on top of an more expensive service, to make sure it is delivered but with couriers SoD is included in a cheaper price.

For me I would rather they are sent to a pick up point a customer has the option to get a parcel safe dropped if they want they then, rightly, take on the responsibilty 

Message 7 of 51
Latest reply

It does not always matter what a seller wants.....most parcel delivery companies (couriers and AP) have an option for parcels to be safe dropped if the parcel cannot be delivered on the first try.

When the addressee goes on line to arrange a redelivery there is usually the option of pick up at the depot, redeliver at another address or safe drop at the original address.

Picking up from a courier depot is not really an option for most people.....they open early, close early and are not open on weekends.  They are harder to pick up from than your local post office.....and they are usually a long way away, even for us city dwellers.

Message 8 of 51
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It does not always matter what a seller wants.....most parcel delivery companies (couriers and AP) have an option for parcels to be safe dropped if the parcel cannot be delivered on the first try.

When the addressee goes on line to arrange a redelivery there is usually the option of pick up at the depot, redeliver at another address or safe drop at the original address.

Picking up from a courier depot is not really an option for most people.....they open early, close early and are not open on weekends.  They are harder to pick up from than your local post office.....and they are usually a long way away, even for us city dwellers.

A buyer will have the option to request a safe drop it will take them 1 minute of time and they then take on the responsibility rather than it being with the seller who has no control over the situation. 

Message 9 of 51
Latest reply

I've missed a few courier deliveries, but my orders are too high value (and I pay extra for insurance) to ever allow safe drop, despite there being almost no chance one of the packages will be stolen after delivery. All the couriers I've ever dealt with basically use ATL as acceptance of the package as is before receipt, thus negating the insurance (for damage, in particular). There's no way I'd absolve a courier (no matter how reliable) of liability for loss / damage before I've even set eyes on the package(s). 

(Not replying to anyone in particular, just putting a random 3c into the conversation :D).

Message 10 of 51
Latest reply