Advice needed Crazy Buyer Problem

A buyer bought and paid for an item from me, I posted the item next day, now weeks later the item has been

returned to me with a big refused sticker on it.

I sent the buyer an urgent message to please contact me thinking something may have been wrong with the parcel.

This is the reply from buyer

After looking at the picture closer, I did not want to take a change with this shrug.
I don't think it's what I was looking for.
Please refund me the entire purchase price(including shipping cost ).

Thank you

Any ideas what I should do

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Refund minus postage costs, eBay fees and Paypal fees.

It is a, very late, change of mind and you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Be sure to keep copies of all correspondence to prove the buyer is in the wrong in the case of the inevitable claim on the MBG.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you so very much

I feel better now

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Cheeky bugger. You've made me feel better about my current annoying buyer, at least she's not yet this bad.

I'd do what davewil said. And add to you BBL. Been doing a lot of that recently, am getting a bit trigger-happy with it!

Good luck with your nutter 🙂

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Yep, can only hope that ebay's big business friends are coping a lot of this.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Very cheeky but also with an attitude i think is rampant these days-all rights but no responsibilities.

Dave is right, you should not be out of pocket with ebay fees, postage and what have you.

I suppose you will have to be polite and explain it as a handling fee to cover the fees you incurred.

What gets me in this whole encounter is your 'buyer' seems to think that your postal expenses, your fees, your time should all be free.

I would love to know how you eventually get on.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I did have one query-was it an overseas buyer?

The only reason i ask is because you say you posted it next day but have received it back weeks later.

I got the impression it had not been opened & not even accepted by the householder so the postale services had reurned it to you. Is this what happened?

If so, I am shocked the buyer had not been in touch with you well before now. Odd customer altogether!! 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Well I'm sorry but a change of mind is not a reason for a return so I wouldn't refund any fees or postage/handling involved,just the price of the item.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Very cheeky but also with an attitude i think is rampant these days-all rights but no responsibilities.

If the buyer is overseas, and in the EU, the Distance Selling Regulations give them a 'cooling off period', which is basically the right to change their mind, for any reason, and receive a full refund of the original payment (and what's more, not returning the item doesn't mean the seller doesn't have to issue the refund). Anyone who sells to buyers in the EU is technically obliged to honour the regulations, too - the minimum timeframe is 10 days, but can be up to 12 months if the seller doesn't outline their return policy. (Some scary stuff for sellers in those particular DSRs). 

There are proper procedures, of course, for a start the buyer has to notify the seller, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people only concentrate on the notion they can get a full refund if they don't want the item anymore, no matter how they go about it. 

That's just on the off-chance the buyer is OS and in the EU. 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

If seller is in the Eastern States and buyer in WA (or vice versa) it could easily take three weeks or more for those AP camels to make the return trip across the Nullabor.

Also if the parcel was safe dropped it could have sat in the buyers house for days or even weeks before she made her mind up that she didn't want it. If it was unopened,  I'm assuming she would only have to write "refused" on it and take it into her nearest post office.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply