MYOB

Does anyone else use MYOB to keep track of their sales?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

MYOB

I did start out using it but found it was far too much of an overkill for the size of our business.

At the advice of my tax accountant we just use a spreadsheet to record sales and expenses data for tax purposes.

A bit like using Photoshop for simple picture editing tasks. There are simpler and less time consuming ways to do it.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing 🙂

I used to just use a Word document to record my sales, as I don't get all that many. I did a Tafe Plus in MYOB last year so I thought I'd start using that, but my family say I should just use a spreadsheet.

It's pretty confusing!
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

saarzi
Community Member

I wouldnt bother with MYOB unless my business got to the point where I needed to hire employees. Its generally for small COMPANIES... as in, a few or more employees.   I mean, of course you can use it, but its overkill (unless youve got large amounts of sales?)... I think theres a few here who use it though.

I have about 100 sales a week and I use Excel.  It can handle a million salesa week, or ten. Just as useful.  Takes 15 minutes to set up a basic sheet, and thats it- you build on it - you will never have to type the same data twice because its so easy to manipulate. You just input manually or import (not sure if you can import from Ebay, never tried it). No working anything out, excel does it all for you. Its also compatible with pretty much every other accounting software on the planet.

How are you doing any data investigations for marketing,  or any correlating data at all from a Word doc? How are you finding various trends in your data to hone in and increase sales?   etc etc?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

Agree with above.

Unless you have several employees on payroll, need to create invoices, process payments, GST, depreciation etc. for ebay, a spreadsheet is far better.

image host
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

I,m not a big fan of spending any more time than I need to on paperwork. I would rather spend my time listing, selling and packing. ( the stuff that actually puts dollars in the bank )

I,m a big fan of the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid.

I use a small note book with a separate page for each month and each store. I record my sales once a  month from the charts in my ebay selling manager just noting the figure. I record any stock purchases for the month on the page. I buy in bulk maybe once a month so this is easy. I use a separate credit card for postage, so bank statements give me an exact record of all post costs. No hunting for receipts or writing each transaction down. I also record my ebay monthly fee. At the end of the year I add up total sales and use a set % to account for paypal expenses. This is the simplest and most accurate system I can come up with. It only takes a few minutes each month and maybe an hour at the end of the year for compilation for tax. I sell basically full time on ebay, making the bulk of my income here. This system gives me all of the basic information I need for my tax.

I can understand there may be a few people who like to study and analise sales data to try to improve and extract every last bit out of their businesses, but for people who just want records for tax, why make it more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be ????  

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

@saarzi wrote:

I wouldnt bother with MYOB unless my business got to the point where I needed to hire employees. Its generally for small COMPANIES... as in, a few or more employees.   I mean, of course you can use it, but its overkill (unless youve got large amounts of sales?)... I think theres a few here who use it though.

I have about 100 sales a week and I use Excel.  It can handle a million salesa week, or ten. Just as useful.  Takes 15 minutes to set up a basic sheet, and thats it- you build on it - you will never have to type the same data twice because its so easy to manipulate. You just input manually or import (not sure if you can import from Ebay, never tried it). No working anything out, excel does it all for you. Its also compatible with pretty much every other accounting software on the planet.

How are you doing any data investigations for marketing,  or any correlating data at all from a Word doc? How are you finding various trends in your data to hone in and increase sales?   etc etc?

I have nowhere near the sales you do, so I find I can manage on Word. I've never had much to do with Excel, but I do know a bit about MYOB, which is why I'm switching to that.

And as for gathering data, I'm working on that haha

Thanks for sharing your thoughts 🙂

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

@chameleon54 wrote:

I,m not a big fan of spending any more time than I need to on paperwork. I would rather spend my time listing, selling and packing. ( the stuff that actually puts dollars in the bank )

I,m a big fan of the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid.

I use a small note book with a separate page for each month and each store. I record my sales once a  month from the charts in my ebay selling manager just noting the figure. I record any stock purchases for the month on the page. I buy in bulk maybe once a month so this is easy. I use a separate credit card for postage, so bank statements give me an exact record of all post costs. No hunting for receipts or writing each transaction down. I also record my ebay monthly fee. At the end of the year I add up total sales and use a set % to account for paypal expenses. This is the simplest and most accurate system I can come up with. It only takes a few minutes each month and maybe an hour at the end of the year for compilation for tax. I sell basically full time on ebay, making the bulk of my income here. This system gives me all of the basic information I need for my tax.

I can understand there may be a few people who like to study and analise sales data to try to improve and extract every last bit out of their businesses, but for people who just want records for tax, why make it more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be ????  

Yeah thats basically what I do, just on a Word doc. Thanks for sharing that 🙂

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

The thing with Excel tho is that it does all the sums for you.

Its not a word processor so it cant write documents etc but it can do sums very well. LOL

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

MYOB

Anonymous
Not applicable

being very handy at excel, i created and use a spreadsheet to manage all my sales, expenses, fees, stock, profits etc

i also save a PDF copy of every sale an "invoice for your own record" into a folder my dropbox

that does the trick and is easy for me to manage, and takes nearly no time to administer

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply