Advice regarding a buyer threatening bad feedback

I have an unusual situation...one I have never experienced before.

A buyer purchased a 'buy now' item early last week. She then sent me a message stating she would pay for the item 7 days later. I was quite annoyed as she didn't ask before she purchased if it was OK, she just 'told' me that was how it was going to be. But I didn't say anything.

Day 7 comes and no payment. So late that afternoon, I open an unpaid item case.

Just after midnight on day 8, she sends me a message asking why I had opened an unpaid item case.

I said 'because you said you were paying yesterday and you didn't'.

So then I get told I am nasty, nasty, nasty...why didn't I message asking why she hadn't paid, I thought I said the following day (day 😎 and I should have known that (like I am a mind reader) and I should trust that people will pay when they say the will and not open cases (even when the buyer fails to pay on said day)

I explained that it was nothing personal. It is just the way I start the process of recouping fees when a buyer decides not to pay when they say they will. It is also a reminder if the buyer has forgotten to pay.

Well...she let loose then saying (and remember she had not yet even paid for the item) that she WILL be leaving me negative feedback and I failed to communicate with her adeqautely.

Bad feedback, not because there is something wrong with the item (which she hadn't paid for) but because she is offended I opened an unpaid item case.

I am absolutely flabbergasted with this woman and her reaction.

She has taken no responsibility for her failure to pay, instead stating how loyal she is and what a good buyer she is, and I should have given her more time, or known (somehow) that she would be paying for it the next day.

I have sent a message to ebay regarding this. She has now paid for the item, but I want the transaction cancelled.. I will not have a buyer tell me that I had no right opening an unpaid item case when I did nothing wrong. She has stated 3 times now her bad feedback review will stand and is adament about it. 

What would you do?

Am I wrong in not wanting to send her the items?

I really wish you could reach through the screen and slap sense into some people. 😕

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Advice regarding a buyer threatening bad feedback

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I refunded her last week. I'm sorry, but bad behaviour and threats are not going to be rewarded from me!!! Some people need to be accountable for their actions. This woman is utterly insane! She will not stop messaging me! I refunded her last week and she still messages me wanting the items...and now a refund (even though its already refunded) . A complete and utter nutcase! I actually am dreading checking my messages as it just infuriates me.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I just would have emailed her on day 8 saying I hope there isn't a problem but if so let me know so we can work together - but that's just my customer relations idea

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@emerald-fairy wrote:

I just would have emailed her on day 8 saying I hope there isn't a problem but if so let me know so we can work together - but that's just my customer relations idea

I agree, kid gloves are the way to go with buyers like these.

(or any buyer for that matter because you never know what they are like until the explosion occurs).

My system is to send a polite reminder a few days after payment is due to jog the memory and offering them the option of cancellation if they have purchased in error.

About 4 days later I send another (polite) message saying that ebay arenow  prompting me to open a case.

I explain that this is the only way I can recover fees already paid and relist the item.

I also explain that I don't like to do this as it can impact their ability to purchase in future.

In closing I let them know that if I have not heard from them within 24hrs I will have to reluctantly proceed.

So far I've not had any problems and nearly always receive payment.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I'm inclined to think I too would have not sent the item and just refunded the payment. From what you say he / she seems like the sort of person who is just looking for trouble and it's quite likely had you sent the item you would have ended up getting messages telling you that this or that was faulty, etc, etc.

These sort of people can make trading on eBay a very unpleasent experience.

I think somewhere in the preferences you can block messages from certain people but maybe that's only after a transaction has been completed.

Good luck.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to find that this woman is a good buyer in the sense she always does pay, but what she doesn't 'get' is that ebay has changed and a seller can open an unpaid item dispute now on day 4. Logically, this would suggest payment would normally be expected to be made in that time frame.

She seems to think it is perfectly fine to buy and pay at leisure, in her own time.. She is treating it as a casual, rather than a business transaction. 

In hindsight (and isn't hindsight grand!) it may have been better if you had replied to her initial message by saying something along the lines of "Payment period has been extended and you have till xx date to make payment". That way she would know exactly the cut off date & it would put it on a clear business like footing.

I had a quick look at a couple of your listings. Might be worth adding something such as "Payment expected within 4 days."

She was in the wrong but you do need to do all you can to protect yourself from these types.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply