Agressive Buyers

Hello

I am not sure if this is the right forum to write this....

I am a newish seller and have been shocked at how aggressive and nasty buyers can be. Feedback is a tool buyers use to extort sellers. I also have been scammed a number of times and ebay has supported the scammers...Is this normal? This whole experience of selling on ebay was great for my first month or so now it has become traumatic . I know you need thick skin "which I have" but buyers appear to have this sense of entitlement which I guess they do.

Generally I would just stop selling  and run away but I have invested a lot of time and money into this. I also have a purpose built stock room with thousands of items for listing.

Any suggestions would be really helpful I am in Australia....

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Agressive Buyers

How do buyers use Feedback to extort sellers?

How have you been scammed?

Why do you leave positive feedback for a non payer?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Agressive Buyers

We would need more information on how you're being scammed.

Selling clothes can be quite risky. There are lots of buyers out there who order an item, wear it and then claim there was a fault and request a return/refund. They treat it like a rental service.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Agressive Buyers

I am a bit on the fence with this. You say buyers try to use feedback as an extortion tool. Do you mean they send you a private message to say they will leave a neg unless you do x,y or z? Or do you simply mean they sometimes leave a neg for you?

I had a look at your neg feedback and to be honest, the impression I am getting is you don't respond well to problems, you ignore the person. And that your item descriptions aren't necessarily accurate.

I don't think you deserved a neutral on the cardigan, that was unreasonable but all the other neutrals & negs sounded fair enough.

You say you have lots of stock so need to stay on ebay. Clothing I think is a minefield but...If I were you, here's what i would do.

1. The photo needs to be of the actual item. You don't go posting a photo of a black shirt and send a light blue one and then tell a buyer it was in the decription. Unless you have a drop down menu of different colours available, the photo needs to be of the item the person will receive.

2. Your description needs to be accurate. Don't go saying  anything like 'as new', for example, if there is the slightest mark or fault on any item. In fact, err on the side of caution so buyers will be pleasantly surprised to find it better than expected.

If something is made of polyester, don't go describing it as sheepskin, even if that is the style. Remember, buyers can only see the photos, they can't touch the item.

3. Include way more photos than you think necessary. Include tags and close ups of any faults.

4. Yes, you are responsible for Aust post issues. Sorry. 20 years ago, nope, you could have shrugged it off but not these days. If tracking doesn't show as delivered, you're in trouble and you are going to have to refund, one way or another.

That woman who claimed the jacket not new as described, if you had said okay, I am issuing you with a return label for postage, you would have received the item back. You would still have needed to refund but you would not have lost everything. As a matter of interest, how did her ad describe the jacket? Was her description different? From what I have read before on these boards, ebay does allow people to keep the item plus the refund if a seller doesn't reply etc and I'd say the odds of getting anything back after that are low. No buyer is going to pay for return postage of an item that they considered not as described.

5. You'll get some buyers who might try to scam you so you need to cover yourself as best you can in ads-good clear photos, detailed description, especially of any faults,  and you need to respond to buyers afterwards. It doesn't sound to me as if all the unhappy buyers you have had so far are scammers.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Agressive Buyers

This is by way of a PS as I am out of time to add to previous post.

I just noticed that in the past month, you bought from another seller and the item didn't arrive. Your feedback stated 

No item arrived and seller did not respond to messages. No choice but to report to ebay who refunded me.

Now that is fair enough, I'd do the same.

But in your reply to a buyer who gave you this feedback below, you asked why you were being held responsible for Australia post issues.

No item. No response from seller. Payment has been refunded through non- receipt of item.

Your feedback was recent, the feedback you received was within the last year, so I am guessing you have since learned sellers are responsible for the arrival of the item. So you can disregard #4 in my previous post, I guess.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply