All APIs Available for ebay.com.au?

TWIMC,

Can I develop a computer program using a couple of APIs that ebay.com (US) has provided?

I would like to implement a synchronization system between ebay.com.au and other third party marketplaces for quantity of inventry. It means it is necessary for me to modeify data through APIs. However, I am also worried if any APIs are not available for ebay.com.au.

Is there anyone did develop a smilar system?

TIA.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You can certainly do that and if you have success you can even sell your software to others once approved.

You'll need to sign up to the eBay developer program here:

https://go.developer.ebay.com/

Lots of Api's available as examples, access to sandbox, documentation, forums, in fact everything you'll need.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I've never understood this ebay API development environment and what (if anything) I would be able to do with it.

Is there some reading material or even a Youtube video that can explain what its all about at a top level.

e.g. could i develop a small applet to interface my Excel accounting spreadsheet with my ebay account, so it can extract relevant accounting ifoormation directly into my spreadsheet?

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Hi Clarry,

As far as I know there are no video guides but you may find something on YouTube.

There are several downloadable SDK's available which should provide you with basic solutions off the shelf:

SDK's

You'll find 3 SDK's described for Java, .Net and Python with examples.

The documentation is very complete - you'll just have to write a frontend and tweak as needed in the sandbox environment.

It costs nothing to sign up and you can play for free so why not?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Appreciate the info.

I was reading about the Python environment today.

So will look into that and see what I can learn. I'm keen to give it a go and see if I can make something of it.

More for self education and keeping the old grey matter active than anything else.

Like setting myself challenges especially when it comes to coding, quite enjoy it really. Probably the old nerd in me coming out I guess. LOL

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I get a bit of a kick out of it too Clarry.

As you say, keeps the grey stuff up to date and functional.

Actually, when you have a look around, you'll find it's one of the more helpful and understandable areas of eBay.

At least the documentation is up to date and specific.

Let's know how you get on.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks again.

I'm up with the crows and do my best thinking then...

So early this morning I found a good video on installing Java JDK, Python, Neon etc and getting all that set up.

That part is all ready now and seems to be working, so onwards from here to see what trouble I can get into.

I might have questions as I go forward.

Is it OK to PM you from time to time if I need to?

If you have any helpful hints please feel free to PM me too.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Hi dazzledayz,

Thanks a lot!  I will try it.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Whatever you decide to do with your API it will need to be deployed.

If you have a webserver already it should be fine but if you don't, you may want to have a look at this new(ish) development from MIT:

Server-Less

It's a very interesting concept that runs API instances as modules in a massively scalable environment via AWS Lambda.

It looks ideal for ebay API calls where you'll be doing some very intense stuff then nothing for long periods.

The charges are per call and quite minimal @ something like 0.00002 cents per call.

Crazy Lister are using this to insert their new non-active scrolling galleries and report a proposed $3000 server cost was reduced to $13.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I've had a look a the Server-Less link you provided. Thanks for that.

But that stuff stuff is so far beyond me it's scary.

If I need to understand this kinda stuff to make these APIs work then I'm thinking its beyond me.

I haven't yet figured out how to make the sample application work that comes with the quick start developers page.

I have registered as a developer and have gotten the keys etc.

But when I execute the sample code I get back a blank page.

When I look at the "raw" page I see what looks like HTML code that appears to show error codes.

Something like Authentication failed: Invalid application.

So don't know where to go from here to play around in the sand box.

Any help appreciated.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply