cheap postage for small items

azeeau8
Community Member

Hi to all,i am an eBay seller but quite new i am selling few items and all of them are under 250 grams but i have to  pay Auspost around $7.40 for 500 grams satchel even it’s 80 grams. Items i am selling can't be sold too expensive is there any cheaper option i could use to deliver small items who can compete Austpost $7.40 flat rate Australia Wide?

i have received a parcel from eBay seller i ordered recently was in only $7.95 with shipping and had two tickets on the parcel $1 each that a paper cutter bigger than my items in weight and size. That means that costs him just $2 which is great but there is no company name on it or eBay label. Would you guys like to help a young and new seller with your experience that would be much appreciated.I have Attached tickets photo in attacgment if anyone is familiar with thses tickets.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If your items are not more than 20mm thick when packaged ready to send then you can send them by large letter for the cost of only 2x stamps if under 125grams.

Up to 250grams is 3x stamps.

Up to 500grams is 5x stamps.

There are some envelope size restrictions on this too. Take a look at this link.

Letter Rates in AU

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

We sell very small and light items sometimes too, if you ask at your local post office for their booklet "post charges" it has just about everything you want to know in there. It is free and the current one is dated 3/10/2016, but a new one is due out very soon, this month I think.

We have found them invaluable over the years that we have been using them. All fees and costs are set out in there, and quite clear, just takes a bit of reading. 

If you are going to be a regular seller it will pay you to spend some time to do some research on postage as it can be quite confusing, and if you make a mistake expensive. Don't worry we have all had some disasters but you learn and never repeat and move on.

A small parcel of under 500g would cost you $7.60 Aust Wide, or $7.40 (i think) if you have a business account with Aust Post.

Some sellers reduce their postage to a buyer but of course the difference is included in the price of the item.

We use plain grey plastic satchells for our deliveries, print a label and attach to the bag. Many sellers have different ways of processing their sold items for postage and over time you will develop your own system and "look" too.

Some other sellers will come here with some more suggestions for you too.

Good Luck with your shop and selling, wishing you lots of sales.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Try and get hold of a letter gauge from the post office. This will tell you if the item is too thick to go as a cheaper letter.

Once yor package is more than 20mm thick and has difficulty passing through the slot, then it goes as a parcel.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

OP might be able to send the bracelets in a padded envelope for $2 but I can't see how they can send the watches any other way

than a satchel and even then the watch needs to be protected with bubble wrap so as to not get damaged.

The wallets could get away with just $2 postage also.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Keep your package depth under 20mm and you can use letter post.

The downside is you have no tracking so INR claims loom large and there is no seller protection from PayPal.

If the buyer claims not received you've done your dough.

As you have a store account you should consider putting the watches and charm bracelets (and any other like lines) together in multi-variation listings.

That will  help you get a better sell-thru rate and thus rank you higher in best match.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Registered large letters are usually cheaper than Parcel Post and will give you a tracking number. The exception to "usually" occurs if the item is over 250g - Registered Post actually is more expensive than a 500g parcel in this case.

One annoying thing about Registered Post is that a lot of times they don't scan it until the item has finally been dropped off, so for all of the time in between, the tracking details only shows the post office where the item was lodged and nothing else for up to a week in some cases! I have also had a couple of items still considered "in transit" despite being given positive feedback from the buyer after they received their item!
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

heihachi, you can get prepaid registered envelopes (B4 size) for $6.60 each, or $6.27 if you buy a pack of 10. That's cheaper than a parcel every single time.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Just keep in mind that if you do post using letter rate, if you don't register the letter (around $3.00) you leave yourself wide open for buyers to open disputes for Item Not Received as there is no tracking, regardless of whether they received their item or not. Unfortunately these days eBay is full of dishonest people who will do or say anything to get a "freebie".  Not all buyers are like this, but there are plenty out there!

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply