Am I being scammed?

diecastmodelsmelb
Community Member

Not long after my eBay listing was visible I have received an offer from someone based in the United States looking for a present for their "cousin" who lives in Melbourne and wants it shipped locally (I also live in Melbourne). After going back and forth with emails she asks it to be posted today and for me to give my PayPal addresses. She then sends me this PayPal request invoice email;

"Hi am xxxx xxxx and am interested buying your item can you ship today ,Because i want the item ship to my cousin as a birthday gift gift .Can you please email me at xxxxxxxx@gmail.com or Text me on WhatApp .And also can i have your paypal account to send the payment ASAP. Here is the shipping Address for xxxx xxxx 4 Holdsworth Lane Williamstown VIC 3016 Aus"

This immediately flagged it to me but also that she wanted to go via the more expensive shipping option of the two I offered.

Strangely, it says 100% positive feedback on her profile (1,125 feedback) and the account has existed since Jan 2006.

Any opinions before I report?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Am I being scammed?

My opinion, scammer who has hijacked someone's account

the Whatsapp thing is a common scam a few people have posted on here about, most recent was one *very very * similar to what you have mentioned 

Found here

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Am-I-being-scammed-HELP/m-p/2424126

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

I thought exactly the same as Sandy while reading your post, OP.

It does sound like a scam, and the fact that the prospective buyer has good feedback and has been on eBay for a long time could mean their account has been hijacked.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Ignore the offer.

Cease all communication.

Place the ID on your Blocked Bidder List.

As sandy & paper said it's an attempt to scam you.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Any attempt to take the sale and the conversation away from Ebay are definite red flags.

Of course there's is no reason why they can't just pay through the purchase link/Buy button. I think that if they have your PP details, they send you a fake payment notification and hope that you won't actually check your PP account.

Of course, you could always say that you are on the new payments system and no longer on Paypal, which should throw a spanner in the scheme 🙂

Anyway, just ignore and block the ID

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Scam or not (sounds like it is),  they are asking you to trade outside Ebay, so its breaking the T&C's,  so either way don't do it.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

Paypal is available for all  buyers, there is no need for a buyer to request any details. T

The next thing they will do is send you a fake paypal ''paid'' notice.

SCAM

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

dmaia67
Community Member

i also being scammed from her

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

@dmaia67 wrote:

i also being scammed from her

From who? There are no identifying details in the thread since the moderators edited the first post. How do you know it's the same person?

If you are currently "being scammed", put a stop to it.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Am I being scammed?

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Any attempt to take the sale and the conversation away from Ebay are definite red flags.

Of course there's is no reason why they can't just pay through the purchase link/Buy button. I think that if they have your PP details, they send you a fake payment notification and hope that you won't actually check your PP account.

Of course, you could always say that you are on the new payments system and no longer on Paypal, which should throw a spanner in the scheme 🙂

Anyway, just ignore and block the ID

I'd err on the side of caution but the 'buyer' possibly can't  purchase because the seller only posts to Australia and buyer is in the US.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply