Am I required to provide Buyer with my email address in order to make payment via bank transfer?

Hi Ebayers,

I would need an advice asap.

I sold an item within hours of posting it  3 days ago. I indicated payment options as either via  PP or direct deposit. First the buyer  requested a total figure (however it was obvious as I asked for fixed postage fee ) then informed me that he was currently having problems with PP  and wanted to pay via bank transfer.I said ok then he wanted me to provide him with my bank details/name+account details/ plus my email address saying that his bank wanted to send a confirmation of the transaction directly to my email. With no reason he gave me two of his email addresses (Not his "real" name but the same email ID with outlook and  Yahoo but later on he kept giving me one email address of the two without any explanation. Furthermore I became  abit suspicious when I noticed that he did not provide his street number  to the postal address and also a different name appeared on the postal address. I requested to correct it but he seems to ignore it. Instead In his messages he keeps asking for my email address.It is very annoying.. I sent him a message last night that I would need to cancel the order in case the payment will not be done in 48 hrs. He replied me today and all he said he was in the proccess of completing the transaction but his bank needs my email address.

I do not believe i should give him or his bank my email in order to deposit the fund. I had already enough of this game..Any advice would be highly appreciated . Thanks and regards

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Am I required to provide Buyer with my email address in order to make payment via bank transfer?

"plus my email address saying that his bank wanted to send a confirmation of the transaction directly to my email"

If it's for the $590 Sony PS4 500GB Console, I think there's more than a very good chance that it's a SCAM.

and if it proves to be so, I suggest youPhone eBay through Customer Support ( top of page) and they may refund your final value fee without the need for you to open an Unpaid Item Case.

Any emails you receive from the Scammer about payment will be FAKE.

Beware of spoof/phishing emails you may receive .

Don't open them and don't click on any links.

Run all your spyware, keylogging and virus protection and change your passwords regularly.

Be sure to have these buyer blocks in place. Go to:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage preferences > Show >
Exclude postage locations from your listings from your listings > Edit .......and Select the countries you don’t post to.

Tick … Apply to all current live listings
Click …Apply

And

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Show >
Edit .......and tick:

1. Buyers in locations to which I don't post
2. Block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification…
3. Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower(Having a Paypal Account and / or Credit Card details on file overrides this block)

Tick all other blocks of your choice.

Tick …Apply above settings to active and future listings.
Click …Submit

It's not recommended that you sell an item like this as a Buy It Now or with a Buy It Now option although you could require immediate payment. That doesn't prevent a Scammer paying with a stolen credit card though.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

radar666
Community Member
Scam.
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

ep, sounds like a scam artist to me. I'd be reporting him personally 

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

If he pays you by direct deposit, HE is not covered by the money back guarantee, and you dont have to pay Paypal fees. So really, its better for YOU for him to do that.

Who cares how many email addresses he chooses to give you? I dont see how this is relevant - it is in no way proof of identity, or anything else anyway.  Contact him through the EBay system only, request that he replies to you through the EBay system only,  and youll never have to think about it.

My bank requests email addresses too when Im transferring online every single time I transfer anything, to anyone. I dont have to put them in, but he may not realise that.  Its purely so that you receive a receipt on transfer. Either way, what difference does it make if you give him your email address or not?  If youre worried, create a new one that youll use only once, for this purpose, and give that to him. Check it to see the receipt that comes through, then close the email account. Free online email accounts - hotmail, Gmail, whatever.

The name on the address is also irrelevant. He could be buying for someone else, or having it posted to a friend. Who cares? Every person in the world buying online is allowed to have a billing address, and postal address - they dont have to be the same. A postal address is no confirmation of ID. When he transfers to your account, your bank will have all his personal details, and confirmation of ID. If he ends up doing somehting illegal (doesnt look like he is even trying to though), then you go to the bank.

Youre not sending him anything til payment is received. So wait until you ahve the payment, and post. I dont really see the issue.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to respond me.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Thank you!

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

You are perfectly safe as long as you wait until the payment shows as cleared funds and not just there but not available. I would even go so far as to wait a couple of days after the funds clear if you think they are suspicious although all they have to do is request your contact details through advanced search and they would get your email address so why you are fussing about providing it, for any reason, I can't imagine.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Thank you for your advice! cheers

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

I agree with saarzi and PJ......it is very safe for you when the buyer pays by bank deposit.  Just be aware that it can take a couple of days to show in your account.

Every time I make a bank deposit to anyone there is a facility at the bottom of the page for the recipient to be sent an email notifying of deposit being made so it is not suspect for the buyer to be asking for your email address.   It is not a condition of making the deposit but maybe the buyer does not realise this.

As for the delivery name and address being different to the account name....it doesn't matter if it is bank deposit as the buyer cannot open a dispute anyway.

You have a buyer who is wanting to do the right thing and you are treating him like a scammer.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

"plus my email address saying that his bank wanted to send a confirmation of the transaction directly to my email"

If it's for the $590 Sony PS4 500GB Console, I think there's more than a very good chance that it's a SCAM.

and if it proves to be so, I suggest youPhone eBay through Customer Support ( top of page) and they may refund your final value fee without the need for you to open an Unpaid Item Case.

Any emails you receive from the Scammer about payment will be FAKE.

Beware of spoof/phishing emails you may receive .

Don't open them and don't click on any links.

Run all your spyware, keylogging and virus protection and change your passwords regularly.

Be sure to have these buyer blocks in place. Go to:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Postage preferences > Show >
Exclude postage locations from your listings from your listings > Edit .......and Select the countries you don’t post to.

Tick … Apply to all current live listings
Click …Apply

And

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements > Show >
Edit .......and tick:

1. Buyers in locations to which I don't post
2. Block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification…
3. Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower(Having a Paypal Account and / or Credit Card details on file overrides this block)

Tick all other blocks of your choice.

Tick …Apply above settings to active and future listings.
Click …Submit

It's not recommended that you sell an item like this as a Buy It Now or with a Buy It Now option although you could require immediate payment. That doesn't prevent a Scammer paying with a stolen credit card though.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply