Amazon Vs ebay.

I wonder if ebay Australia have a contingency plan for when Amazon comes online into Australia. Maybe it will beneifit  the seller with more free listings and or lower rates. I already sell a bit through various FB sites and save heaps on fees. I will be looking into a website as well for next year.

Or do you think it will just stick its coprate head in the sand and not worry about it?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Amazon Vs ebay.

It will depend on Amazon's business model.

Last time I looked, the only books Australians could sell through Amazon 'Australia' were ebooks. Not much good for a 2nd hand real book seller.

This is obviously a personal, specific view, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want a far more eclectic site before they dumped this place for Amazon.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Amazon Vs ebay.

Take a look at eBay US or eBay UK, and what they're doing. They each have fully realised Amazon sites in competition with them (and have done for a while), along with all the other usual suspects (Gumtree, Facebook, Craigslist is pretty big in the US, I believe).

There are some market differences, to be sure, but one thing I feel relatively strongly about, is that Amazon will not be the saving grace for disillusioned eBayers.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Amazon Vs ebay.

Just speaking personally, but after Amazon's behaviour in the past, there's little chance I'd even look at their Australian site, let alone buy or sell on there.

Pretty much anytime I looked at an item on Amazon, I was unable to purchase, getting their usual "This item is not available to your country" nonsense.

If they didn't want my business then, they can't have it now...

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Amazon Vs ebay.

@whiznumber6 wrote:

Pretty much anytime I looked at an item on Amazon, I was unable to purchase, getting their usual "This item is not available to your country" nonsense.

It is not a nonsense as you may think and it has nothing to do with Amazon itself.  it is called distribution network and its set and protected by a product manufactorer. Only they can decide if they want their products to be sold by their distributors to just about anywhere in the word or each distributor can sell these products only with an area  set by agreement between a distributor and a manufactorer.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Amazon Vs ebay.

Most of the items I've looked at on there that weren't available to Australia were offered by private sellers who didn't want to ship internationally. The stuff that's supplied or fulfilled by them generally is offered worldwide (or close to, except for most of the digital content like music and TV shows, due to liscensing agreements). 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Amazon Vs ebay.

Just speaking personally, but after Amazon's behaviour in the past, there's little chance I'd even look at their Australian site, let alone buy or sell on there.

If they didn't want my business then, they can't have it now...

-------------------------------------

I know what you mean. I have found some great items on Amazon and it has been very frustrating to click on them and discover the sellers will not sell to Australia.

I don't blame Amazon, I think every seller there makes the decision where they will sell to and fair enough if they don't want to post internationally.

But what it has done is make me steer clear of Amazon, I am not interested in it as a site, I don't click on it, I don't look at it now.

If they opened an aussie version it would have to be jolly good before I would bother as I have lots of other sites where I can buy.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply