Another SCAM

This one is new to me, although I am sure it would have happened to others. I am hoping for same advise.

I sold two records to a person in Singapore last week.

I got them packed and posted immediately.

I got a message this morning, saying how I advertised two records, but they only got one. And how disappointed they were.

I replied and said that I packed the records my self, and I 100% know that I put both in. And how disappointed I was to hear this.

I have not heard back yet, but boy am I annoyed.

I am honest, and I definitely , no doubt sent the buyer both records.

I believe this is a scam, they want want half their money back. A great way to get cheap records.

Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience and what the out come was please?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Another SCAM

Do you have the receipt that has the weight on it ?

Was the package sealed when they received it ?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience. It definitely sounds like a scam to me. I will keep my eye out for this one. I think the only way in the future is to film yourself putting both in the parcel and sealing it, as well as take plenty of photos. That is what I will be doing if I am sending more than one item, so thank you for the warning. Sorry I can't be of help as to what to do in this case. Your word against theirs and the buyers always seem to win unfortunately. I would definitely put them on your blocked list and immediately at that before they buy something else from you.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Was also going to ask you to look at their feedback left for other sellers to see if they have a habit of

claiming items not received.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Do you have the receipt that has the weight on it ?

Was the package sealed when they received it ?

Hi Foxette, yes, I do have the receipt with weight and tracking number.
I asked the buyer if it looked like it had been opened, but there has been no reply so far...
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Was also going to ask you to look at their feedback left for other sellers to see if they have a habit of
claiming items not received

I just had a look, they only have a FB of 23, it all looks good.
But in FB left, it shows they love to leave negatives!
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Just my opinion as never had this happen when I was selling, if they open a Paypal or ebay

dispute/claim for item not received, make sure you upload a copy of the receipt with the weight

circled. If you have another receipt handy with the weight on it for 2 records, upload that also so

ebay/Paypal can compare.

Not sure what else to suggest if they wont respond to your message re was parcel tampered with.

Strange question but is there any possibility that the alleged missing record is banned in Singapore ?

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

foxette-in-sox , thanks for the advise.
The records were children's nursery rhymes of all things.
I will share the item number, โ€ฆโ€ฆ.am I allowed?
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

@gramophonerecord wrote:

I asked the buyer if it looked like it had been opened, but there has been no reply so far...

There often isn't when you call buyers like this out on their BS. Many buyers (or at least the ones who try it with me) seem to bank on the seller not knowing or remembering for sure what was packed and therefore getting the benefit of the doubt for a refund or replacement. I even had one buyer try it 6 months after they purchased, I was able to shut them down immediately, though, because I get messages like this frequently enough that I ended up photographing every single package with their contents, showing the address as well, and I keep them for up to a year.

My items are small though, so it's easy enough for me to send through the photo and just say it's so they can verify it was definitely packed, and maybe they missed it, to check the packaging again or maybe the area where they opened it, but that's pretty much impossible with something the size of a record, in that if there's two, it'd be pretty hard to miss one (out of curiosity, did they even say which one was supposedly missing? It's not clear if they specified which, and it'd be pretty odd if they didn't). I also advise that everything is weight-checked, and that my remaining stock-count is correct, in that I don't have more left than I should (or would if I hadn't sent them the item(s)). 

Most times I never hear back, sometimes I hear back weeks later when the buyer tries to purchase again and finds they're blocked (too bad, I don't deal with people who think it's ok to lie and try to steal from me), and occasionally I hear back shortly after saying they found it after all. 

Of course, sometimes things can happen to packages in transit, damage can occur, items may be lost from it, or customs can open them and maybe not re-pack everything correctly, so I usually ask a few questions to determine the liklihood of that before hitting them with the above, just to make as sure as possible whether or not the buyer is on the level, or just another would-be theif - however, of all the messages I've received claiming missing items where my records indicate otherwise, none of them had any credibility whatsoever. I only ever had one buyer push it to a PayPal dispute, and while that didn't quite go as I would have liked, I didn't lose any money owing to the proof I had to show PP. I understand for some sellers, photographing or filming packages and their contents adds an unwanted step, but for me it takes maybe an extra 10 minutes a day, and has saved me quite a lot of money, not to mention angst over whether or not the buyer is telling the truth if I can't remember for sure what I packed (sometimes I do make an error, and my photos will show that too). 

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

I have an update on this situation.
I got a reply from the buyer.
I will copy and paste the exact message:

"James it does not seem opened but it was taped alot

so investigate and get back to me please. If not I have to feedback to ebay. I hope you understand"

I am thinking that the buyer is saying, do something about it, or I am going to leave feedback.

One thing is for sure, I don't understand!

I have not replied to the buyer as yet. To be honest, I don't know what to put yet.

It's not like me to be stuck for words. But at the moment I am speach less ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply