Another SCAM

This one is new to me, although I am sure it would have happened to others. I am hoping for same advise.

I sold two records to a person in Singapore last week.

I got them packed and posted immediately.

I got a message this morning, saying how I advertised two records, but they only got one. And how disappointed they were.

I replied and said that I packed the records my self, and I 100% know that I put both in. And how disappointed I was to hear this.

I have not heard back yet, but boy am I annoyed.

I am honest, and I definitely , no doubt sent the buyer both records.

I believe this is a scam, they want want half their money back. A great way to get cheap records.

Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience and what the out come was please?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Another SCAM

I always like to undermine threats of negs by telling the buyer they can leave whatever feedback they like, as I'm only interested in finding out what happened. It's not guaranteed to work, but it does for me 99% of the time.

Ask for a photo of the packaging with all the tape because if the postal service or customs did that, it's usually apparent.
Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

In cases like this, I usually reply with:

1. I have proof of the weight on Australia Post receipt.

2. Get them to take a photo of the customs declaration you filled in, showing 2 records and weight. This form is still on the package.

3. If the parcel has been damaged by the postal carrier, there will be a tape/note/bag from the postal carrier showing this. Get them to take a photo of this. If they can't prove this then it did not happen.

No. 2 is indisputable, they won't reply to that. They can argue with No.1, but I have great success with No.3 even with international buyers.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

And look at it this way, the buyer is a neg giver. You're going to get a neg and you sure won't get your goods back, so you may as well defend your money with all gloves off.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Feedback extortion isn't allowed so if you have to eventually ring ebay, make sure you get them to read their message. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure they'd remove any neg if they've used it to threaten you. I'd also point out to ebay the buyer's track record. You probably will have to ring them in the end but try the things others have suggested first.
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you to every ones suggestions, I am certainly ready to fight this one out.
I sent the buyer a reply yesterday, asking which record did not arrive. Still no reply yet.
In my next reply I am going to ask for pictures of the packaging and for him to give me the weight.

This might be nothing, but I think this is strange. I got my first message from this guy at 12.52 am on the 24th of Oct. Which makes me think the parcel must have been delivered the day before. Ironically, ebay and the Aust post website shows that it was delivered on Wed, the 24th, which would have been after he messaged with a complaint. This seems fishy to me??

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Time and date on ebay are always a little fishy. Ebay is sometimes using a US timezone, then if you add Singapore and Oz timezones, it may all go crazy. Then sometimes ebay delivers messages hours and days after they were actually sent.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Excellent reply, thank you for all the tips.
Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

I agree with DG on this, I think the buyer is trying it on.

Any taping by a post office usually says that clearly.

It strikes me as odd that the buyer has threatened you with... feedback.

I suspect what they are hoping is that you will be so worried that you'll refund 50% no further questions asked and...flying under the radar because they won't have had to open an official ebay claim of not as described.

I wonder how many times they have tried that before.

I'd go very formal. Not rude, but all the same making it clear you know what you packed and have proof of weight etc and do as melbourne clearance suggests so they know they won't be getting any easy refund.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

When we get these bluffs of a short packed order (which is rare by the way) we counter-bluff when we are 100% certain no error was made.

We say we have a dashcam mounted over our packing table (which we don't) and that records exactly what was packed into which order.

Then say it will take me a day or so to locate the video of that day so I can check to make sure we did not make any errors. That just gives the time to back pedal.

Then give them a few options of where to look... relative opened it, fell out and you didnt notice etc etc. Just feed them anything they could use as an excuse to find it.

If they say send me a copy of the video we just say that will be provided to any authority upon request. But nobody has ever asked this tho.

After this we either never hear any more from them, or they suddnely find it somehow.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

It gets interesting.... I sent the buyer a response on Wednesday the 24th at about 3 pm asking for him to tell me the name of the one record that is supposed to have arrived. It is now 10am on the Friday the 26th and there has been no response from the buyer.

I was thinking about his previous response, where he said that the parcel had a lot of tape on it.  I am thinking that this is not the parcel I sent him. I only put the needed tape on, nothing over board .

I am only speculating here, but i wonder if the buyer bought more that one lot of records, he opened an order, found only one record and instantly assumed it was what i had sent him.  Then the next day, my parcel arrived....

Maybe he isn't replying because he feels silly and is trying to save face.

In any case, I hope that i don't here from him again!

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply