Anybody know what these are please?

I presume they are some sort of brass hose attachment but not sure as to how they "fit",(I know that the ribbed bit gets the hose on

it and the other bit is screwed on to something,but what/why?).

Any ideas/knowledge of these?

IMG_2940.JPG

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You probably need a crimping tools to use them. Way back when in a garage I worked they used an A/C crimping tool that had a hex head built into the crimp lock. So that you could hold that instead of trying to tighten against the crimp (ie the fitting has no hex so how do you tighten whatever goes into the thread?) They proably did it becasue it made their crimp locks unique so you had to keep going back to their well to buy consumables. Anyways my guess is 10mm or 3/8 gas to barb fitting requiring a crimping machine and specialized crimp lock to become functional

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

They look a bit like R12/R134 retro fit a/c couplings....of some description although they are usually aluminium

.What is the diameter?

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

My husband seems to think it is a hose reducer. A large hose fits on one end and a smaller hose on the other end.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

My husband seems to think it is a hose reducer. A large hose fits on one end and a smaller hose on the other end.

Except they have a thread inside which would be for something.

I also think they are for coupling hoses using a male n female screwed together, very possible for refrigerant.

Designed to be unseen making the hoses flush for insertion through holes or tucked into machinery.

image host
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Inside diameter looks to be about 9 mm on the screw side and 7 mm on the smaller side and they weigh 5 grams each,(so feels to

heavy for aluminium).

14 mm long,outside diameter on the screw bit side is 12 mm and 10 mm on the smaller side.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Wouldn't it have a clamp on it to hold the hose in place?

The other end would have the external male male screw piece that would be coupled to a hose?

My original thought was hydraulic hose couplings but they are generally more solid?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

You probably need a crimping tools to use them. Way back when in a garage I worked they used an A/C crimping tool that had a hex head built into the crimp lock. So that you could hold that instead of trying to tighten against the crimp (ie the fitting has no hex so how do you tighten whatever goes into the thread?) They proably did it becasue it made their crimp locks unique so you had to keep going back to their well to buy consumables. Anyways my guess is 10mm or 3/8 gas to barb fitting requiring a crimping machine and specialized crimp lock to become functional

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

That makes sense as a clamp would not have worked as well as a crimp being locked down,(probably a good chance that they were

left behind when a split system was put in). 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply