Anyone had an INR lately? Holding funds despite valid tracking

Had an INR today - buyer acknowledged in eBay messages that it's showing as delivered but says they don't have it (another issue entirely ...)

It was a tracked letter, so I pasted the tracking number from the order page into the dispute and uploaded, also noting that I have the receipt and postal voucher proving the address. I was keen to have it closed because I always hear so many horror stories about disputes being resolved in a buyer's favour despite the selling following all the rules, so when it didn't automatically close with the tracking, I jumped on the chat with the idea that CS could manually close it.

Nope - apparently it's a new rule that your funds are held for 3 days regardless of whether you upload valid tracking or not, so that the buyer and seller can "resolve" the issue. Huh? There is nothing to resolve. My job was to ensure that the item the buyer purchased was delivered to their specified address, and it was, so ... ?

Here's what CS said:

"Usually cases gets closed when valid tracking is found. But recently we did update some of our guidelines under which when a request is filled it remains open for 3 business days to allow time to resolve the issue mutually. Within this time frame system will not allow us to take action on the case. This was updated because some seller previously added false tracking allowing to manipulate guideline resulting unfair resolution. This is the reason why we updated the system. But do not worry I can confirm the tracking you have shared is valid and we will close this case once 3 business days timeframe is over. This will not affect your selling performance. I hope you understand we can not ignore our guidelines."

BTW this has nothing to do with funds being held because I'm a new seller - I've been here for 20 years and have never had my funds held. It's just this random new thing they're doing. Good times.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

It's a great idea from Ebay,  if they have found sellers loading false tracking,   then why not delay by 3 days,  they don't know that you havent loaded false tracking.

There are dishonest sellers and buyers,  so if they put in a new protection,  I think it's great

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

It's a great idea from Ebay,  if they have found sellers loading false tracking,   then why not delay by 3 days,  they don't know that you havent loaded false tracking.

There are dishonest sellers and buyers,  so if they put in a new protection,  I think it's great

I don't know if you're just trying to troll or what, but I'm sure any logical person would agree that if a seller has an actual human who works for eBay verify that their tracking is indeed valid and correct, then there is no need to hold for a further 3 days.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

I laugh when because others think something is ok,  they must be a troll.   No some of us can see the benefits for protections, and we don't all have to agree.  You don't like the idea, I do,  so should I call you a troll because your views are different,  no, I accept different opinions.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Fortunately I hardly ever get INR's, but a few months ago a buyer opened one literally on the day it was delivered. Money was put on hold, even though I re-added the tracking into the case (it was already uploaded into the transaction previously). After 3-4 days it was closed in my favour, but there was a cheeky note from "customer service" who said that although it was found in my favour, I must remember to post within my time frame and to consider myself lucky! My handling time is 3 days and I posted the day after the order......

They are a law unto themselves and I think that some buyers have been encouraged by platforms like Amazon to open cases against sellers on a whim to see if they can get a refund. On Amazon, all the buyer has to do is say that didn't get it, and unless you sent it specifically with Amazon shipping, you will have to refund. 

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

It's odd, IMHO.

False tracking numbers should be immediately detectable, in the sense that there would actually be no tracking available at all on a fake number, or if there is, tracking history would look odd (eg lodged outside of the seller's handling time, from a location nowhere near where the seller's address(es) are, stuff like that), whereas a valid number would have lodgement and a tracking history that matches all of the right details. 

I suppose it's possible to game it,  I won't be explicit how, but that 3 days would make zero difference in those cases, due to what eBay do (and don't) verify in so far as tracking is concerned. As in, if they have not asked you for more details, there is zero point in the 3 day delay - the tracking status is not going to change, and they are not requiring anything from you before making a final decision (eg opening an AP case etc). 

My most recent case was the chargeback I mentioned in my tracked postage thread. That was a few months ago, though so I don't have any more recent experience with them - as soon as I confirmed the tracking number (which was a tracked letter, BTW), the case was closed and no funds were taken. It took about 24 hours after that until the funds were released. 

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

What are you even talking about? You are either a troll or have a comprehension problem because WHOOSH (that's the sound of the point going over your head)

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

It's odd, IMHO.

False tracking numbers should be immediately detectable, in the sense that there would actually be no tracking available at all on a fake number, or if there is, tracking history would look odd (eg lodged outside of the seller's handling time, from a location nowhere near where the seller's address(es) are, stuff like that), whereas a valid number would have lodgement and a tracking history that matches all of the right details. 

I suppose it's possible to game it,  I won't be explicit how, but that 3 days would make zero difference in those cases, due to what eBay do (and don't) verify in so far as tracking is concerned. As in, if they have not asked you for more details, there is zero point in the 3 day delay - the tracking status is not going to change, and they are not requiring anything from you before making a final decision (eg opening an AP case etc). 

My most recent case was the chargeback I mentioned in my tracked postage thread. That was a few months ago, though so I don't have any more recent experience with them - as soon as I confirmed the tracking number (which was a tracked letter, BTW), the case was closed and no funds were taken. It took about 24 hours after that until the funds were released. 

Exactly, it's not as if it's suddenly going to say it wasn't delivered. It has been verified by eBay as being delivered to the buyer's address within the delivery estimate (and was posted within my handling time). Additionally, the email about the dispute very clearly says:

Email #1:

"Please resolve the buyer's request

To resolve the request, please confirm tracking details"

Email #2 (sent 1 minute later):

"Until the request is resolved, the transaction amount will be withheld from future payouts"

Per their own emails, the dispute should be resolved. Might chase this up again tomorrow with that ^ and see what they say.

Thanks for your replies, Digi and Jelly.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

As you have already uploaded the tracking again, all you can do is wait for the dispute to finalise. It will definitely take a couple of days, so probably no point contacting CS who are mostly useless anyway.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Yeah you're right; I just don't want to get in a situation where they fInD iN tHe bUyEr'S fAvOuR because this particular CS rep has it wrong, and then have to wrestle to have a defect removed because the bot closes it, etc. We'll see ...

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply