Are bid retractions recorded in buyer history?

Quick question to more experienced sellers: just had my first bid retraction, would like to know, is this kind of activity recorded in the buyer's profile? I can see the retraction in the history of the bid but not when I click the retracting bidder's profile.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Bid retractions show at the top right hand side of the page on Feedback As A Buyer.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for that, just saw it in the profile. If I can press my luck, is there any limit to the number of times a buyer can retract without damaging their ability to bid? Or can they do it as often as they like with no fall out for them at all?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

They are not supposed to do it for no good reason, but there is more and more evidence of bidders just retracting whenever they feel like it and lying about the reason.

There is no hard and fast number of retraction allowed but if members keep reporting excessive numbers of retractions hopefully ebay will act.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I have seen some of the more experienced posters here tell buyers to lie as for the reason of a bid retraction just so they can cancel their bid.

So not everyone thinks it a bad thing to do to sellers, but how people can blatantly lie about their commitment to a transaction is beyond my understanding.

I would love to see very strict rules re bid retractions and the buyer should have to provide proof of the reasons for the retractions.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

If they picked can not contact seller as the reason then you can report them if they had not sent any messages asking to remove the bid.

If they picked entered wrong amount then they must enter their correct amount after removing the other bid. If they have not done this then you can report them.

If they picked Seller changed description and you have not done this since they placed their bid then you can report them for that as well.

ebay will give them a warning if you report them.

To report a trading offence:

Contact Us.

Include the appropriate information, including any relevant emails, Only report a case once; multiple emails about the same case slow down an investigation.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

IF I ran auctions I'd far prefer a retraction to a NPB.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I looked up the history for the bidder using previous advice given: 6 retractions. Bidder reason for retraction was wrong amount but there was no subsequent bid. The bidder has just one feedback, presume it is a person who does not know the difference between watch and bid.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

It is annoying to get retraction, especially if there are other bidders and they will wonder what is going on, some may become suspicious and not bid more.  However, as others said already, it is much better to get retraction on your item than NPB.  If person retracts without valid reason, and has several other retractions, I would put them on my BBL.  If you want to be kind to the newbie you can message them and say something like:

I have noticed that you have retracted your bid on my item for invalid reason, and that you have done that on previous occassions.  Please note that retractions can discourage other bidders from bidding, and therefore are damaging to the seller.  If you are reported to eBay for invalid retraction your account might be sanctioned........etc.   Why not save items you like into your watched items and only place bids when you are sure you want this particular item?

they might thank you or they might get nasty

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

they might thank you or they might get nasty

Only contemplate doing that AFTER you have added them to your BBL.;-)

Ebay do act against bidders who have a lot of retractions, there was one lady a few years ago who, on advice from boardies, retracted several bids as they were 'suspect' listings. Obviously she was reported by all of them and her account was suspended!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 20
Latest reply