Are sub-titles worth the $1.10 fee?

out of my 60+ ads not one has a subtitle. i know that $1.10 is rather cheap but are subtitles really affective when increaseing sales? If so should i apply them to all my ads or just a select few?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

id suggest just try a few to see if it can catch anymore viewers and maybe convert some of the viewers into watchers. I have rarely used it as i think the title there is plenty of room for discription of what you are selling. Not sure if sub title enables you to list in multiple categories also which would be a better way of advertising and getting people to look at your item or other items you may have for sale

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

The keywords used in subtitles aren't searchable, unless advanced search is used (which most don't), so their usefulness is more about getting information to people who happen to spot it in search results. 

If there's info you or buyers would benefit from if buyers saw it before even clicking on your listing, and which isn't appropriate for the title, then they can be worthwhile.

A good example is Australia Post's flat rate satchels that they started selling here a few years back - the ones that are from around $1 for a pack of 5 (500g). People bought those but thought postage was included in the purchase price (or were confused about how to pay for postage with them). Eventually, Australia Post added the following subtitle to their listings: Not a prepaid satchel.

I've been thinking about adding one to some of my listings about not being able to post to parcel locker addresses, as it causes me issues every week when people don't read my descriptions, but I'd only be able to pick a few to try and 'signal boost' the limitation, so I'm still undecided on how effective it would be overall. 

Other sellers will use it as an additional marketing tool, to help them stand out a bit from their comeptition - they'll put key features or benefits of the item, or advertise a unique deal they offer exclusively, which can help catch the eye of people looking in search.

Personally, if you're looking to catch the eye of people with additional marketing, I'd only select listings that are currently on the first or second page of search results. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

thank you for the detailed points, from what youve told me i think ill leave the subtitles for now, might change 2 or 3 ads and see what happens but theres really no need for any additonal information as the title displays the nessesary information the buyer needs. 

thanks 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Every now and then eBay has a promo for free subtitles. Maybe you could keep an eye out for them and try before you buy so to speak. Just be aware, that when the item relists, the free subtitle then because chargeable. If nothing else, it would give you a month to see if they help. If they do, then you can keep them. If they don't, remove them and you've lost nothing.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Every now and then eBay has a promo for free subtitles. Maybe you could keep an eye out for them and try before you buy so to speak. Just be aware, that when the item relists, the free subtitle then because chargeable. If nothing else, it would give you a month to see if they help. If they do, then you can keep them. If they don't, remove them and you've lost nothing.

I have one of these free promos at the moment, so I assume others do too.

No use to me, though.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

you get them for $1.10? i have to pay $2.20 damnit Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

you get them for $1.10? i have to pay $2.20 damnit Smiley Surprised

It's $2.20 if you don't have a store. For me with a store it's $1.10 at the moment. But the listing fee page has been updated to change it to $2.00  for stores so I'm assuming it will be charging that much soon.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

i have a store and have had forever and it's always $2.20. must not be one of the lucky ones ๐Ÿ˜› 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@restorers.choice wrote:

thank you for the detailed points, from what youve told me i think ill leave the subtitles for now, might change 2 or 3 ads and see what happens but theres really no need for any additonal information as the title displays the nessesary information the buyer needs. 

I think Digital Ghost's point really summed it up.

If you have information that you think it is vital for a buyer to know, even before they read the rest of the ad, then you might have a sub title.

But if the title has all the key words and sums up the necessary information, why waste the money? If you have a lot of ads and the items are expensive, then a dollar or two might not look like much, but they would soon add up.

I'd say I am a fairly typical buyer. I just go up the top, type in what I am searching for, then scroll through the list of whatever comes up, paying particular attention to the photo and title. Those two things are what persuade me to open the ad or not and read further.

I glance at subtitles if there is one, but at the body of the ad more.

I had a look at a couple of your ads out of curiosity. (They looked really good). The thing I noticed was the 'condition'. I think you managed to get relevant info in there, better than any subtitle. If I were a buyer, information that something was new & hand made in Aust,or made fresh each month would be of interest.

So your condition statement is all you need and it's right up there at the top anyway, can't be missed.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply