AusPost Delays

AusPost are claiming that due to staffings restrictions due to CORIV19, and increased volumes their delivery time for parcels has been increased by 3-5 days.

A very convenient excuse for their continually deteriorating delivery reliability.

As an aside, they claim normal mail volumes are down 30% - which is very understandable.    But with decreased volumes why is delivery also taking around 2-3 days longer?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

AusPost Delays

My postmaster urged me to increase my handling time by a further 2 days....because planes aren't in the air....most things going by road/rail
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

But with decreased volumes why is delivery also taking around 2-3 days longer?

Flight availability.

Long-haul driver availability / overwork (seriously, these guys would be on the road constantly at the moment - some haven't seen their families for a few weeks etc). 

I have heard very conflicting anecdotes with regard to volume - some are claiming it's just as busy as Christmas (I even heard taxi drivers had been hired to help deliver ? ), so I don't really know what the true situation is there. I do know they are prioritising mail - my very metro Adelaide post shop ran out of priority labels last week. I ordered them online and got them delivered to my PO box (from interstate) today, the PO still don't have theirs.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

AusPost are claiming that due to staffings restrictions due to CORIV19, and increased volumes their delivery time for parcels has been increased by 3-5 days.

A very convenient excuse for their continually deteriorating delivery reliability.

As an aside, they claim normal mail volumes are down 30% - which is very understandable.    But with decreased volumes why is delivery also taking around 2-3 days longer?

I feel that is a little harsh.

Normal mail is down but parcels have increased by a huge number according to the post offices I visit.

As DG suggests, next to no flights, custom checking of parcels at reduced levels and fewer delivery drivers.

With reduced staff I salute AP for getting the high volume of online parcels through in a timely manner.

image host
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

My local post office is fully staffed. I see the posties out and about as normal.
My PO is flat out - more parcels than normal and people paying their bills.
The PO staff say the online shopping is working overtime as people can't get out and the shops are mostly shut.
My customers are reporting reasonable time frames with their items. I am sending more than normal to QLD and Victoria ( I am in NSW).
No complaints so far...fingers crossed!
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post is now delivering the Woolworths Basics Box as well as running a delivery service for Chemists.....it is not all about ebay deliveries.

Posties and Contractors are run off their feet with local deliveries and the interstate drivers are virtually running a shuttle service with minimum breaks.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

Well see as you have made your mind up that they are just making up excuses, it really does not matter what anyone here says, does it ? 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

eBay is doing sellers no favours, when its says the postage time from QLD (metro) to WA (metro) is 5 days.

And at the post office staff behind the counter (at my local) are saying 10-16days.

So far my buyers have been understanding of postal delays.  

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

AusPost Delays

I'd say there really is increased volume of parcels going through. My daughter was trying to order something online from Target a few days back and there was a wait time to get online, their website was totally flooded.

Target, of all places!!

If they are flat chat, then probably quite a few other stores have had a big increase in online orders too.

I think Aust Post has lifted its game in the last few years, or it has in my area. Much better than it was eg 4 years or so back.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply