Aust Post Killing Ebay Sales

I know this subject has been done before, but I just started reselling on ebay after a long break and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how much a 3kg box would cost to send to WA (no it won't go in a satchel)

Needless to say my 'would be customer' was completely put off, and I dont blame her.

Time Aust Post got some serious competition me thinks

That all....just venting!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can provide your thoughts directly to Australia Post via the Australia Post Conversations page. People who are interested can also participate in the discussion. 

I previously sought support regarding the Australia Post policy of delivering parcels over a metre long from overseas but not allowing locals to post similar sized parcels to other locals in Australia. I posted the link here but unfortunately I didn't get any support and Australia Post was happy to conclude that there was insufficient interest.

I'd like to see a reduction in minimum parcel weigh to 250grams. Lots of sellers have items that weigh significantly less than the current minimum weight category of 500 grams but are obliged to charge at the 500grams postal weight. This makes them very uncompetitive compared to international sellers who can post to Australia for significantly less.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@grapes_collector wrote:

I know this subject has been done before, but I just started reselling on ebay after a long break and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how much a 3kg box would cost to send to WA (no it won't go in a satchel)

Needless to say my 'would be customer' was completely put off, and I dont blame her.

Time Aust Post got some serious competition me thinks

That all....just venting!

They are getting some competition and pretty stiff competition at that!

Singapore Post acquired Couriers Plaese some time ago and are targeting AP pricing.

Japan Post has just acquired Toll so watch this space.

BTW - Japan Post is the default Japanese superannuation fund manager so it's very well capitalised.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Have you checked the 5kg satchels? Unless your 3kg box is very long and skinny, it would probably fit in a 5kg satchel and be cheaper than sending a box. If your 3kg box is HUGE, it'll need to be cubed and you'll end up being charged for a much "heavier" parcel.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Gumtree is always a better option for selling heavy big things....people looking to buy larger heavier items will usually check gumtree first, as they know these things cost a lot to post....so you might get more interested buyers on gumtree and avoid the postage cost issue all together.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

If I'm sending a significant size parcel interstate (weight not necessarily being the issue, but cubed size) I now get an AP price, and then check couriers on Interparcel.  Guarantee if AP cost is $25.00 plus, a courier will be under $20.00.  

Had one just before Easter (Melb-Sydney)  AP $32.00 odd.   Courier around $12.00 cheaper than AP.  Picked up Wednesday PM, delivered Sydney, Thursday 6.45AM.  Buyer was a bit surprised about the early delivery time!!!  AP wouldn't have delivered until sometime later the week after Easter.

Sent 26kg of pottery to W.A. in two boxes.  AP $198.00.  Courier just on $100.00, and was there in 3 days.

Not only cheaper, but a heck of a lot quicker.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I've written to Australia Post a few times over the years pleading for them to introduce a cheaper price for light objects (eg. 100g) but they cannot be flexible at all.  I am stuck having to pay for a 500g parcel even though my parcels are typically only 100g.  This is to send a rolled up poster in a tube.  By the time I factor in some $$ to cover eBay's commission on the postage cost and the tube, I have to charge my buyers $9.25 just to send a single piece of paper.  I am certain the price of domestic postage in this country is limiting my success.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply