Australia Post Impact On Sellers another Truck Up In Flames

queenslander-one
Community Member

Extract from SMH this morning.

Hope No Ebay Sellers had any items on it that will now be under MBG or Not delivered INR.

A truck carrying letters on behalf of Australia Post has caught fire on the Hume Highway sending traffic into chaos on one of the key thoroughfares between Sydney and Melbourne for over two hours.

It took at least four Rural Fire Service trucks to extinguish the blaze which resulted in a large amount of letters being destroyed that were on their way from Sydney to Melbourne.

"Postal letters were sprawled out across the highway," said Declan McCarthy who had to wait over two hours to pass through the fire scene.

An Australia Post spokeswoman said that the company was currently working through the information to advise customers of the impact. The truck is owned by a third-party contractor.

"Fortunately and most importantly, no one was injured in the incident," she said in a statement.

The fire started after the truck appeared to crash into an embankment on the highway just south of Gundagai in south-west NSW.

It took fire crews almost two hours to get the blaze under control. The driver escaped before the truck was completely engulfed in flames.

By 5pm on Saturday the shell of the truck was still emitting smoke and a fuel leakage had kept the south-bound lane of the Hume Highway closed.

HAZMAT teams have been called in to clear the fuel off the road, a RFSNSW spokesman said.

Drivers are being told to expect delays.

"We expect that lane to remain closed for the next few hours," the spokesman said.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Australia Post Impact On Sellers another Truck Up In Flames

I had an express item going to Victoria that I posted Friday afternoon (from central west NSW which I'm pretty sure goes via Sydney). Why have a got a bad feeling about this? Normally it takes express 2 days from here, so I'll check the tracking number tomorrow and if it's not showing as delivered, or waiting for delivery, I might have to contact the buyer. I did ask him to let me know if it hadn't arrived after 2 days. Previous communication had been pleasant, so hopefully if his package was on that truck, he'll be understanding.

The tracking in the order details says it was last scanned on Saturday, but doesn't give a time. The AP tracking page is still just saying that it's been posted. 

I doubt the actual items would be destroyed in a fire, but the packaging certainly would. The order was only for $31 including the cost of express post, so not a huge amount to refund, but still. I could probably send the buyer a similar replacement. I'll work it all out later if I need to. Crossing everything!!!

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

The parcel I sent as express on Friday to Victoria is saying it's with Aust Post for delivery today. Phew!!!! What a relief!!! YAY!

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Express goes by air, if I'm not mistaken. That is what you pay the extra for. My last one was Canberra-Adelaide, delivered next day. No way that spent much time on a truck, certainly not with a drugged driver on the Hume Highway.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Express goes by air, if I'm not mistaken. That is what you pay the extra for. My last one was Canberra-Adelaide, delivered next day. No way that spent much time on a truck, certainly not with a drugged driver on the Hume Highway.

Yeah, I did think of that this afternoon. I mentioned to my husband that it was showing as delivered, then said I had no idea why I was worried because it would have gone by air! I did a big face palm and crawled back behind my rock.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply