Australia Post - Insurance compensation claim - Terms and Tips

Made our first claim for lost item in transit today and discovered some recent changes.  As the seller you are only entitled to the wholesale cost of your item plus the postage paid.  If the items wholesale cost is over $50 you need to provide copy of invoice from your supplier as proof of cost.  If the wholesale cost is under $50 no invoice is needed and your claim is processed via verbal confirmation of value.

Some time ago eBay started adding codes to Australia Post labels and I suspect that enables Australia Post to track back the correct value if you ever made a claim with inflated value.  (We have always removed this code and the item number from the label).

"As per the terms of the service you have used, compensation is available of up to $100 towards the contents plus the postage. As you have advised wholesale value is over $50, please reply to this email with a copy of your wholesale invoice as a proof of value. If the $51 value happens to be the retail value and the wholesale is under $50 please reply advising the wholesale value along with the best contact number so that we may then call you to process the compensation for you".

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Australia Post - Insurance compensation claim - Terms and Tips

The EBA code is only prefixed to an eBay generated labels, not a MyPost label which use generic AP numbers. If a seller manually generates the label in MyPost there is absolutely nothing to tie it back to eBay.

But as an honest seller I supplied the correct cost for the claim. It took a while for the claim to be answered aka COVERT delay, but it was processed same day no questions asked.
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Whenever I lodge an AusPost claim up up to $100, all I have to provide is a screenshot of my Paypal screen.
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Is that when you are claiming as a seller or a buyer ? How long ago was your last claim ?
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

As a seller. I've never made a claim as a buyer.

My last claim was 10 days ago.
Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Yep, been months, so many phone calls, gave them copies of the sale, didn’t get a response, called again, told they would only pay the wholesale price with original receipt, sent that but haven’t received any replies or compensation.   I won’t be using Australia Post again, to think of how many times I paid that insurance for things that I didn’t have receipts for.  They don’t pay out anyway, it’s junk insurance use someone else.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Yep, been months

29 of them...

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I wonder how this works for collectable items. Say I purchased a Lego set back in 2008 for $400 and now decide to sell and its value is $6000 and it goes missing. I paid insurance for $6000. Why am I paying higher insurance if they won't be paying out for the item value. 

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply