Australia Post calculation

Have sold a few things and guessed approx. postage charges as per post charges book, have noticed some other sellers have an postage calculation button on their listings, how can I use this service, thanks

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When you list an item and you get to the Postage section by Default it is set as Flat Rate Postage There should be a arrow in that box \/ Click there and you should see the Calculated Postage Highlight it. You will then have to enter the Weight and Size of the Parcel. Here you also have the Option to charge a Handling charge for the Packaging I normally charge $1 depending on what I am Sending. Also when you weigh the Item remember the weight of the Packaging If its only a small item and can be posted 500 grams or under but it it weighs 499 Grams before it is packed then you may have to add another 150 grams when it is packed so you have to be carefull there. Also what I like about it is it will Automatically give International buyers the chance to see what they are up for in postage. My international sales are always Australia Post International Registered. With using Calculated Postage you should never be out of pocket.

Paddy

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thank you for your help, bit confusing but I will try.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Have sold a few items using the Australia Post Calculator and paid the penalty--every time. The calculator is wrong even when I up the dimension of my parcel. This last time by half the amount shown to the buyer. It means that as a seller I made no profit. Only Australia Post made money. I will not use eBay again until the postage rate calculator shows a cost closer to the reality charged by Australia Post. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

you really need a set of scales to know what weight to put in your listing as you only need to be over the weight by a gram to end up with the wrong calculation.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Okay, this is a really old thread, but I have to comment.

The Australia Post calculator is extremely accurate.  I use it pretty much every day, and have never had a discrepancy between what I have calculated post cost to be, and what it is when I take parcels to the PO.

I believe some of your problem when you are getting a post cost is where you are sending it to.  If sending something interstate there is going to be a huge difference between same city post and interstate post.

Same city up to 22kg same price.  Interstate, and it varies.  If I send something from Melb. to Sydney under 1kg $13.95.  Same parcel to SA or Q'ld $14.30.  (From memory, I think Tas is roughly the same as SA/Q).  Once you get over the 1kg, the variance is a lot greater. WA is a different ball game altogether.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

doh, never saw the date, 

ebay, cant you make dates over a year old a nice bright red or sumthin' for us slow guys?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

My less than 20 bucks digital kitchen scales that I got from K-Mart YEARS ago weigh exactly the same as the scales at the PO. It's very handy because most of my parcels go at under 500g. If someone has bought multiple items and it's getting close to the 500g, I can see how close it is. If it goes to 501g or 503g, which it has a few times, it's often just a matter of repacking it to get it under. I'll usually try and get it to 490g, but as long as it's 498 or less I'm happy. Just in case the scales differ for the first time!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

If I print out the postage label I realized that the lady at the post never weighs the parcel.

I do not know if they are checking the weight elsewhere. Of course I use a kitchen scale.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

blockmountains said "I will not use eBay again until the postage rate calculator shows a cost closer to the reality charged by Australia Post."

I'm doing a double 'doh'.  I thought it was a complaint about AP's calculator.

Blockmountains meant that eBay's calculations are way out, not AP's.  BUT that means that blockmountains is not inputting the correct information into the postage section.

So unless blockmountains learns to do it correctly, he/she is going to have continual discrepancies between eBay stated post and the reality of AP.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply