Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

Is anyone aware if there is a "period of grace" after 4 January, where the old letter rates will be accepted without the recipient being charged for underpaid postage?  In the past there has been an "unwritten period of grace", sometimes two weeks or a month.

This is the case where you drop a pre-stamped letter into a red post box.  Of course once you approached the post office counter, the latest postage would be charged.

Happy New Year and thank you for all the very helpful "inside advice".

Message 1 of 193
Latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

who wants to place a bet that they don't update the postage calculator. They have not even updated the post about the price change which was released before it was even approved. Bonuses all round.....

Message 11 of 193
Latest reply

We bought a few hundred pre-paid envelopes as they will be able top be used after Jan. 4

Message 12 of 193
Latest reply

Wonder if they will issue a bunch of 30c stamps so we can make use of the remaining 70c ones.
Message 13 of 193
Latest reply

yes, just hope we dont have to use a million 10c stamps to make it up.

Message 14 of 193
Latest reply

I don't think there will be much period of grace. In the past the price rise was only 5 or 10c so they could easily wave a week or so.

Now to get the same postal time we pay $1.50, thats a massive jump of 80c or 30c if we don't mind our items taking up to 2 days longer to arrive. I don't think they will let many cheap ones through now.

Message 15 of 193
Latest reply

Dagnabit. I meant to ask them when I was at the PO this morning. Teach me to have a million things on my mind. They weren't busy either, so would have had plenty of time to discuss it without holding up other customers.

Message 16 of 193
Latest reply

I just went in to buy 30c stamps because I still have a bunch of 70c stamps. They told me that I can post my letters in the Street Box with 70c for the next 2 weeks. Don't know if that's the same for all Post Offices, but I would assume it is.

Message 17 of 193
Latest reply

I was told that anything posted from today on would be the new price,(i had to buy a heap of 30cent stamps) they were only going to let through letters posted in the red box before today. So don't be surprised if they are not delivered or you get hit up for extra postage.
Message 18 of 193
Latest reply

Yes, same for me.

I went to the post office and asked the manager. He confirmed that the new price of $1 is from today the 4.1.16.

So I had to buy a whole bunch of 30 cent stamps to put with my 70cent stamps.

Message 19 of 193
Latest reply

@theforcemedia wrote:

I just went in to buy 30c stamps because I still have a bunch of 70c stamps. They told me that I can post my letters in the Street Box with 70c for the next 2 weeks. Don't know if that's the same for all Post Offices, but I would assume it is.

I very much doubt that information.

In the past there has only been a period of a week to 10 days grace to allow for mail posted before the increase to be delivered.

Message 20 of 193
Latest reply