Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

Is anyone aware if there is a "period of grace" after 4 January, where the old letter rates will be accepted without the recipient being charged for underpaid postage?  In the past there has been an "unwritten period of grace", sometimes two weeks or a month.

This is the case where you drop a pre-stamped letter into a red post box.  Of course once you approached the post office counter, the latest postage would be charged.

Happy New Year and thank you for all the very helpful "inside advice".

Message 1 of 193
Latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

well i did not want to reply here again but you were 35% correct

Message 151 of 193
Latest reply

And what 35% might that be Joe?

Please tell everyone what has made you happy.

Message 152 of 193
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 153 of 193
Latest reply

Well I'm not going to read through all of that, I just skimmed everything.

I spoke to another AP employee today, again I was asking for 30c stamps. She told me to just use the street box, and then I mentioned to her the different answers I have been getting about the subject.  She then very specifically explained that the grace period is 10 days, and it is for anyone posting after the 4th. Not for mail already in the system, but for mail being added to the system. It is for people who may be unaware of the price increase.

Do with that information what you will, I am not responsible for your actions!

I don't mean to argue with anyone, just relaying the information I received ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 154 of 193
Latest reply

Which is at odds with the information that others have been given.

However, it does confirm one thing,,,,,,the period of grace does exist even if there are different interpretations of what it means.

Message 155 of 193
Latest reply

WOW post 68 I got it right unbelievable,grace period up until the 14th

Message 156 of 193
Latest reply

just got back home  ,your 35% was  for 10 days grace , even though it was for the wrong grace , 

as  mr media has stated 10 days after the 4th at a red box.    i mean it would be silly 10 days grace if you had to post before the 4th,  you would not need grace.   also i was told the 10 day grace was not advertised   for reasons as you all can imagine.

so subject is closed for me.

but a little off the subject   i had a little tear in my eyes tonight , some might know usally late on a thursday night i go to a place in brunswick  which is owned by my friends and they have a amature singers come along or play an instrument.

a chap of 41 years old came and sat next to me who was going to play the saxaphone, he was blind and used a stick to get around ,,he set up his sax and played very well, but what a person he made  jokes  about his blindess ,then told me he has only 3% vision in only 1 eye , he lost his vision at age 25  , he is a type 1 diabetic  , a few years ago he had a kidney transfer   last year he had a quadrupple bypass, i just said  i dont know what to say ,you have had such bad luck, and he said to me , its alright we live in a great country ,my flat mate comes from the philipines and when you go to some hospitals there ,you have to have family there to nurse you.

here we have nurses looking after you day and night doctors around.    joe  i am lucky to live in this country.

so maybe  the 30cent hike on stamps is not as bad as some think.

Message 157 of 193
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

but a little off the subject   i had a little tear in my eyes tonight , some might know usally late on a thursday night i go to a place in brunswick  which is owned by my friends and they have a amature singers come along or play an instrument.

a chap of 41 years old came and sat next to me who was going to play the saxaphone, he was blind and used a stick to get around ,,he set up his sax and played very well, but what a person he made  jokes  about his blindess ,then told me he has only 3% vision in only 1 eye , he lost his vision at age 25  , he is a type 1 diabetic  , a few years ago he had a kidney transfer   last year he had a quadrupple bypass, i just said  i dont know what to say ,you have had such bad luck, and he said to me , its alright we live in a great country ,my flat mate comes from the philipines and when you go to some hospitals there ,you have to have family there to nurse you.

here we have nurses looking after you day and night doctors around.    joe  i am lucky to live in this country.

so maybe  the 30cent hike on stamps is not as bad as some think.

Gee, that's not an off topic post is it? Joe, please stick to the topic. What you have written there has absolutely nothing to do with price increases for postage. Very quick to jump on me to stick to the topic, but it's OK for you? Double standards at its finest.......

Message 158 of 193
Latest reply

I had assumed that the 10 day grace period was implying '10 business days'.. not that it really matters ๐Ÿ˜›
Message 159 of 193
Latest reply

I was told before the price increase by an Aus Post store owner/representative/employee that there would probably be a 2 week grace period. I have been trying to use up all my $0.70c stamps. So, in doing what I was told would probably be right, today, 15.1.16 I received a fine in the mail for 'underpaid item'. The 'invoice was dated Jan 12, the underpaid items they were charging me for were lodged, (this is actually on the invoice by the way) JULY 1, 2016. There were 20 of them, and each single item incurred an 'admin fee' of $1.50. So for each one, I have been charged $0.60 for underpaid and $1.50 admin fee. My invoice totalled $57.10. I refuse to pay as I was given what seems to be misleading information by Aus Post. What a joke! So I've had to close my store while I do a complete overhaul now. Absolutely ridiculous.
Message 160 of 193
Latest reply