Australia Post proposes 10 cent stamp price increase

16 REPLIES 16

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7330475/Australia-Post-hike-price-stamps-dollar-time-histor...

I got an article too, Aus post has apparently lost $190 Mill and to try and make money back will be hitting the seller so more fees we must pay to sell. Now eBay lower your fees please to help out.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

When I was at the PO the other day the ladies told me there are big changes coming in September as far as costs for sending parcels. They said they hadn't read it all properly yet but it seemed that there might be going to be a price for local and another one for other than local. And sending locally would be dearer.

I haven't had time to check any of this out yet. Maybe one of you might know something?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I'll ask at the PO tomorrow. They're usually pretty much on the ball, but if it's a lot of pages they may not have read it all yet.

I wonder whether they're making parcels flat rate Australia wide. They'd increase the number of parcels that get sent if it wasn't as expensive to send from one side of the country to the other. They must have a lot go by satchel and that's flat rate Australia wide, and 5kg satchels are pretty large.
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

I wonder whether they're making parcels flat rate Australia wide. 

That was my understanding of the upcoming changes.

From what I read, there will be 500g, 1kg, 3kg and 5kg flat rate parcel costs, which will also be accessible when using own-packaging (but these can be cubed instead, so it's not a true flat rate across the board -- their own satchels and boxes for these weight brackets shouldn't be cubed, but something like a large roll of bubble wrap, which might weigh a kg or two, would likely be cubed still). 

This would eliminate intrastate discounts which can be significant, hence those parcels becoming more expensive, and also force people to pay 3kg flat rate prices for a 1.1kg package (usually for me the 3kg flat rate was cheaper than the assessed price for something a bit over 1kg, so I just used a satchel anyway, but others may have had better contract rates or something). 

My Post Business has just introduced a 4th band for discounts on parcel services, which apply for anyone sending 20+ parcels per week - up to 25%, which (for those sending at that volume) will hopefully counteract the next increase.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I'd better chase up the woman who bought about $1000 worth of stuff last July (2018) and paid but hasn't got around to picking it up yet.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I'd better chase up the woman who bought about $1000 worth of stuff last July (2018) and paid but hasn't got around to picking it up yet.

Smiley Surprised

That really shocks me. I've heard of people abandoning the odd item here or there, but $1000 worth of stuff is a whole different ball game, or it would be to me!!

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

In other words, they made 0.19b less than their usual multi-billion dollar profits. It's been four or so years of $1 stamps anyway, it was inevitable that a price was going to occur either this year or next year. Paying an extra 10/20/30/50 cents will hardly break the bank. Had they proposed a rise from the $1 stamps straight to $1.50 on the other hand it would put off a lot of buyers.

In other news, home brand 2L milk is now $2.40, having gone up another 20 cents in less than a year.
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I only wish they would bring back the 250g parcel rate, that's where most of the ripping off is done. The fact that a single Woolworths Ooshie costs upwards of eight dollars to post is absurd, that is more than the cost of sending a DVD to England (which is $7.50 as of August 2019).
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

It surprises me too! Back in Feb she was working a mere 40 kms away (25 - 30 minutes pleasant country drive). I haven't heard from her since about March. I sent a message in late April but never heard back.

I certainly wouldn't be leaving stuff I'd paid for at someone else's place. Postage was about $20 to Melbourne but it'll probably be a lot more in September if she's no longer working locally and I have to post it. She was going home on the weekends so wouldn't have had a real lot to do after work and could have easily driven here. In her words, she's only a hop, skip and a jump away. I've kind of given up but I'd really like the space for my own things!
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply