Australia post charging for underpaid postage

I use Click and Save for postage but Australia Post just sent me an invoice for underpaid postage. I am very careful with weight and size. No information on the variation invoice but just saying 22 parcels underpaid. I called and they can't give me details of what was underpaid but said a debt collector will be on my case if I don't pay. Has anyone worked out how to get details from Australia Post on post payment variations.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Australia post charging for underpaid postage

And that is the reason why I get Australia Post to weigh every item I send using Click & Send or ebay Postage Labels. I lodge over counter (parcel not sealed) and request them to check the weights. If they are over I take home and repackage or do it at the counter. I usually try to keep a couple of grams under the maximum weight.

Have you incorrectly used a larger satchel (500g in a 3kg satchel) as you will be posting at a wrong rate.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I don't know about a service called "Click and Save" but we do use "Click and Send"

Provided you enter the correct details regarding size and weight and you ensure that the post office perform a logement entry when taking the parcels to the post office then they should have validated the weight and size.

I am sure that the Post Office must have to provide a detailed account of each parcels descripances when issuing an invoice, otherwise I would be reporting this to the ACCC.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Did you weigh them completely packed, including postage label and sticky tape? If a parcel is borderline, adding the postage label could be enough to bump it over the limit. Same if you haven't sealed it, adding sticky tape could be enough to also push it over.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

We ALWAYS lodge C&S parcels over the counter for two reasons:

1. It validates the weight is under the limit

2. It formally registers the article into the AP tracking system

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks all yes I did mean Ckick and Send. 

Is it too much to expect that Aussie post would provide details of why they are charging me extra so I can work on the variation.

Or is this the new world where supplier just tell you to pay without any breakdown. Not the level of customer service I expect.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

how much  was your bill ?  

thank you

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Do you lodge over the counter? In my experience, this not only gives you a lodgement receipt (proof of postage) but they also are required to weigh each item before the lodgement receipt is produced.

If you just chuck them in red boxes....

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Here is a link to another thread started this week, by a poster with the same problem

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Totally-baffles-Aus-Post-send-notice-saying-I-owe-80-60/m-p/...

Really, if AP is offering an service where people can buy postage online at home, they need to make it a requirement that the person then takes their parcel(s) into their Post Office and get it weighed and checked before it goes in the mail bag/box.

We are already doing their work for them at home, weighing our parcels, computing the postage cost, printing out at our own expense the postage labels.

The PO staff don't always weigh the prepaid parcels I take in, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If they don't then they are responsible for letting a underpaid parcel go through (not that any of mine are underpaid).

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

IMO its all very well for AP to say you owe them.  But if they cannot/will not provide you with evidence of where you have allegedly underpaid, I would be personally  telling AP to go take a flying leap off a short pier.

No proof from AP, no debt for you - and if the debt collector does call, tell them you are waiting for AP evidence of alleged underpayment, yet to be received.

I dare say you may have made an error, but at the same time you are entitled to detailed proof of that error.  I certainly wouldn't just pay up and shut up - and don't be intimated by the threat of a debt collector.  It is firmly in AP's court to provide proof of their claim.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply