Australian Sole Trader with Registered Business Name and ABN, but can't find where to add this

I'm a sole trader with an Australian registered business name and ABN, but I can't find where or how I can add my ABN number.  Can anyone help with this?  

Also I have just signed up for Managed Payments, and the options of business type  where registered business and sole trader - if I was registered I had to be a company, partnership or public trading company, it didn't give me the option for Sole Trader with a registered business and ABN.   

Thanks

Togokara

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Australian Sole Trader with Registered Business Name and ABN, but can't find where to add this

It depends on where and why you want to add your ABN - you can't provide it to ebay unless you are a GST-registered business as well.

You can have it appear in listings, though, without affecting your GST status with eBay, if you go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences and scroll down to "Display your VAT number on listings", It will actually say "VAT number" on listings though, and with the new rules re: VAT, I'd probably avoid this if you sell to EU / UK. 

I'm also a sole trader and am currently on managed payments - I can't remember what they name it (individual? something like that) but you need to select the non-company / partnership option. That is basically for corporations, and you'll hit a wall several options in when it asks you to name multiple investors that aren't you. 

Registering as an individual doesn't affect your account or ability to trade on eBay, or your GST status if you are registered (if you are, I'll add the info on how to provide it to eBay). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It depends on where and why you want to add your ABN - you can't provide it to ebay unless you are a GST-registered business as well.

You can have it appear in listings, though, without affecting your GST status with eBay, if you go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences and scroll down to "Display your VAT number on listings", It will actually say "VAT number" on listings though, and with the new rules re: VAT, I'd probably avoid this if you sell to EU / UK. 

I'm also a sole trader and am currently on managed payments - I can't remember what they name it (individual? something like that) but you need to select the non-company / partnership option. That is basically for corporations, and you'll hit a wall several options in when it asks you to name multiple investors that aren't you. 

Registering as an individual doesn't affect your account or ability to trade on eBay, or your GST status if you are registered (if you are, I'll add the info on how to provide it to eBay). 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I'm a sole trader with an ABN and a registered business name, but in 17 years I not yet found a reason to add that info on Ebay.

I just sell as an individual and if my sales were over $75k, I would then then register for GST.

There is an interesting article/blog here if you care to read it, as Ebay itself does not require you to have an ABN to sell on the site:

https://lawpath.com.au/blog/do-you-need-an-abn-to-sell-on-ebay

For Managed Payments, just sign up as an individual/sole trader.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks  if I get to that point of needing to register for GST I ask again.  Will leave the ABN off.  

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply