Auto Defects for Late Shipment of Tracked Items at Request of Seller. Unintended Consequences?

Hi All, yesterday there was a thread about Aust Post which touched on the Ebay auto defect consequences of delaying posting of tracked items even at the request of the seller.

I find that this does/will affect me - I had two sales in October where the buyers were on hols when they bought and asked me to hold off sending for a week or two until they were back home.  Have just checked my Sellers Dashboard and this shows that those two instances have resulted in my "Late Shipment Rate" (LSR) being 3.08% - Ebay indicate that from Feb 2016 a LSR of less than 5% will mean the loss of "Top Rated" seller status.  Luckily, I had/have enough sales at the moment to absorb these auto defects hits but if my sales drop off would be a different story.

Do you think Ebay have considered this scenario?  Seems it could be a bar to sellers offering good service in this way in the future??.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Auto Defects for Late Shipment of Tracked Items at Request of Seller. Unintended Consequences?

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

EBay don't seem to care about good customer service. Mark the items as posted within your handling time, then post when the buyer has requested. As long as no tracking number is uploaded, you won't get an auto defect. Tell your buyers that's what you are doing and the reason why. Let them know that when you do post them, you will send them the tracking number via a message. Don't then upload the tracking number into eBay.

When the buyer goes to leave feedback they will see the message asking if the item arrived within the estimate. Ask that they either tick yes, or just don't tick it.

Tippy... doing this alone will not work, sorry. Ebay do not accept the marked as posted date as any kind of proof of postage date.

All they will accept is if you have a lodgement scan event on your tracking that is within your specified handling time, or the delivery scan event is showing delivered inside their estimated delivery date (EDD). Other than that the seller will take the late delivery hit.

The whole situation might be treated as for a large letter if, as you said, you do not upload tracking information onto the order, but do it thru messaging. But you would have to make sure you made your buyer acutely aware of the consequences for you of a NO answer to the late delivery question so that they say YES regardless.

Of course, if you are indeed using large letter that has no tracking then you can mail it any time you like when the buyer requests this. But it will be up to the buyer to answer the delivery date question with YES even tho they will have received it outside the EDD at their request. If they answer NO then the seller will still take the late delivery hit.

I would suspect (hope!!) tho that if a buyer does make such a written request via messaging then you should be able to phone them and ask to have the hit removed on the grounds of the messages between you and the buyer. You would think that in the interests of good customer relations they would do this for you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I was just on the phone to eBay on another matter and I raised this issue as well.

As you've suggested if you have instructions from the buyer in eBay messages (eg don't send until the 12th as i am away on holidays) and can show that you followed those instructions any late defect can be removed.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I'm in the same boat. I have a buyer who has requested shipment in 3 weeks (late January) as she will be away. It seems very unfair if eBay penalises us because of good customer service.I have a lot of messages from the buyer with the  request...please post on a certain date. It would be useful if eBay checked our messages to see what was going on!! Another merry Christmas present from eBay..not.

Sandra

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

EBay don't seem to care about good customer service. Mark the items as posted within your handling time, then post when the buyer has requested. As long as no tracking number is uploaded, you won't get an auto defect. Tell your buyers that's what you are doing and the reason why. Let them know that when you do post them, you will send them the tracking number via a message. Don't then upload the tracking number into eBay.

When the buyer goes to leave feedback they will see the message asking if the item arrived within the estimate. Ask that they either tick yes, or just don't tick it.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I obviously wasn't thinking straight when writing my post!  The Subject header and message should have referred to "Late Shipment of Tracked Items at Request of Buyer" - not  "Seller" as I wrote.  Apologies for any confusion.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion Tippy but I use ebay postage and the tracking loads automatically.

But still a good idea as perhaps I could buy the postage at the post office for a delayed send if I didn't have the capacity to absorb the defect - down side of that is that I wouldn't get the discounted postage offered through ebay.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

If it's only for the occasional item, then I think it would be worth absorbing the discount, rather then get defects for being a good seller and offering outstanding customer service.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Tippy... doing this alone will not work, sorry. Ebay do not accept the marked as posted date as any kind of proof of postage date.

All they will accept is if you have a lodgement scan event on your tracking that is within your specified handling time, or the delivery scan event is showing delivered inside their estimated delivery date (EDD). Other than that the seller will take the late delivery hit.

The whole situation might be treated as for a large letter if, as you said, you do not upload tracking information onto the order, but do it thru messaging. But you would have to make sure you made your buyer acutely aware of the consequences for you of a NO answer to the late delivery question so that they say YES regardless.

Of course, if you are indeed using large letter that has no tracking then you can mail it any time you like when the buyer requests this. But it will be up to the buyer to answer the delivery date question with YES even tho they will have received it outside the EDD at their request. If they answer NO then the seller will still take the late delivery hit.

I would suspect (hope!!) tho that if a buyer does make such a written request via messaging then you should be able to phone them and ask to have the hit removed on the grounds of the messages between you and the buyer. You would think that in the interests of good customer relations they would do this for you.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I was just on the phone to eBay on another matter and I raised this issue as well.

As you've suggested if you have instructions from the buyer in eBay messages (eg don't send until the 12th as i am away on holidays) and can show that you followed those instructions any late defect can be removed.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

That's handy to know. Thanks for letting us know about that.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

That is handy info. Thank you.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply