Automatic Relist, Second Chance Offer queries

bh354
Community Member

Hi,

After receiving no payment and no communication from a winning bidder I opened an "Unpaid Item Case" and, after waiting four days with still no payment, I closed the case. I then made a "Second Chance Offer" to the next highest bidder but so far have had no response. However, the whole matter is very confusing because Ebay appears to be automatically relisting the item for one day at a time as a Buy It Now item at a price equal to the value of the Second Chance Offer!

My questions are - How can I turn off Auto Relist? And how long does a  Second Chance Offer have to run before I can either put the item up for auction again or remove it from sale completely?

Thanks,

bh354

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Automatic Relist, Second Chance Offer queries

only you and the 2nd chance person can see that

buy it now

it is how the 2nd chance works... I think from memory the offer lasts 48hrs  but check your my eBay page it will say how long the offer to the 2nd chancer is valid for

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

In order for the second chance offer to be able to work, eBay creates a "Buy It Now" listing for the buyer who receives the offer; the listing itself isn't searchable or able to be viewed by anyone other than yourself and the buyer it's offered to, and only they can purchase it. This listing has a duration equal to however long the offer is valid for (I believe they can be made available for up to 48 hours, but you have to choose how long to make it available for at the time you send the offer).

You can end a second chance offer early or let it expire on its own, then you'll be able to relist it for general viewing / purchasing etc. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

1, 3, 5, or 7 days. I think you can end them earlier than that if you want to, unless it's changed. I was offered one last year and it went for 5 days. I missed the message and saw it on day 4, but the seller had already cancelled it.

second chance offer.jpg

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Many thanks to everyone for the explanations, it is the first time I have had to deal with an unpaid item and was unsure of the procedure. 

It appears I still have the option of leaving feedback for the non paying buyer. I really want to give Negative feedback because of the inconvenience cause by the nonpayment, but I am thinking perhaps it may not be their fault if my invoices and messages via Ebay are not getting through to them. I've asked Ebay Support this question but am still awaiting a response from them. So maybe something is wrong with my account's emailing system. 

Thanks again,

bh354

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

In case you don't know, sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback nor even positive feedback with a negative comment. For NPBs the best thing is to leave them no feedback at all.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

The best thing, as mentioned, is to leave no feedback at all. By leaving a positive with a negative comment, can get you into strife if the buyer reports you. EBay will remove the negative comment and let the buyer keep the green dot, which just adds to their feedback score.

By closing the case, you have given them a strike against their name. Sellers who have blocks in place are grateful. Once a buyer has received 2 strikes in 12 months, they soon find there are a lot of sellers whom they can buy from due to the blocks. 

If you haven't already, I'd suggest putting blocks in place too, then you are protected from buyers with multiple strikes. Up the top of any eBay page (including the forums), click on where it says "G'Day <your name>" then account settings. Then on the left, site preferences. Scroll down to Buyer Requirements, show, then edit.

Block buyers with 2 or more unpaid strikes in 12 months.

Block buyers in a location I don't post

Block buyers with 4 policy violations in 6 months

Block buyers who haven't been through phone verification

It's personal choice if you want to tick the buyers who might bid on my items and not pay for them. That setting just sets a limit on how many items a single buyer can buy at one time.

Tick don't allow blocked buyers to contact me.

Tick the option to apply to active and future listings, then apply.

Also, if you haven't already, add this buyer to your Blocked Buyer List. The link for that can be found at the bottom of the page you were just on.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hello,

Thank you all for replying to my query and for the great help. The offending buyer has been added to my blocked list and I have setup my account as suggested by i-love-my-sheep.

I relisted the item and it sold today. Happily the new buyer paid within a few minutes of the auction ending. So, all well that ends well!.

Thanks again. it was my first experience with a non payer and I' verym grateful for the help this forum has given me.

Regards,

bh354

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply