Bad news for sellers - But wait, there's more .......

Slipped innoculously amongst the PayPal policy updates about their POS program was this little gem.

14.  We have replaced clause S5.1.k of the PayPal Seller and Buyer Protection Policies with the following:

“S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

Payment is made through guest checkout outside of eBay, PayPal Here, Email Payments and direct Credit Card payments through PayPal (including Virtual Terminal and Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution or API).”

So, if you have your own website & have been enjoying offering PayPal safe in the knowledge that their seller protection policy had been extended beyond the borders of ebay, be aware that as of 20 May, 2014, it will be no longer.

A directive from their ebay bosses designed to stem the tide of departures, perhaps?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bad news for sellers - But wait, there's more .......

FGS what part of abuse of market power does the ACCC not understand ??

upset-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@ejholden1963 wrote:

Slipped innoculously amongst the PayPal policy updates about their POS program was this little gem.

14.  We have replaced clause S5.1.k of the PayPal Seller and Buyer Protection Policies with the following:

“S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

Payment is made through guest checkout outside of eBay, PayPal Here, Email Payments and direct Credit Card payments through PayPal (including Virtual Terminal and Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution or API).”

So, if you have your own website & have been enjoying offering PayPal safe in the knowledge that their seller protection policy had been extended beyond the borders of ebay, be aware that as of 20 May, 2014, it will be no longer.

A directive from their ebay bosses designed to stem the tide of departures, perhaps?

That's not actually new. 😞

At the moment, no transaction - even on ebay - where the buyer uses a guest checkout system qualifies for Seller Protection. What it actually means is that a buyer has to log into a PayPal account in order to make payment for a transaction to qualify, but it's worded badly (especially the update when you compare it to the current version, because it's not 100% clear what 'outside of' means...I think some people will read/interpret it differently, anyway). 

This is what it currently states (and has done for a while):

Limitations

S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

k. Payment is made through guest checkout, PayPal Here, Email Payments and direct Credit Card payments through PayPal (including Virtual Terminal and Website Payments Pro – Hosted Solution or API).

The only thing you can do to try and prevent guest checkout payments on eBay is to block all buyers who have not gone through phone verification, but that's more related to eBay accounts and doesn't mean a buyer will log into a PP account to pay, so it would be nice if we could now have the option now to actually block guest payments (I don't know if you can on independent websites). 

I suspect the "you've received new funds" version of the payment notification might be the one generated when a buyer pays as a guest, but I have no way of knowing for sure (unless someone else can confirm). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

G'day digi,

if we could now have the option now to actually block guest payments

Good point. I'm compiling a list of questions, etc .. for a meet with a Paypal rep next week. I'll add the bit about how we can identify them as well.

Most of my concerns are related to C/C funded payments, both direct & via Paypal members. I'm currently getting a wide variety of interpretations from the PP CSO's .... most confuzzeling.  http://forums.llli.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

confuzzeling

I love that word, may I please have permission to use it ?? Here and in everyday life - kind of describes how I feel most of the time!

OOHH  - confuzzled - (copyright) R - whatever

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@ejholden1963 wrote:

G'day digi,

if we could now have the option now to actually block guest payments

Good point. I'm compiling a list of questions, etc .. for a meet with a Paypal rep next week. I'll add the bit about how we can identify them as well.

That'd be good, cheers 🙂 Actually, clarification on "outside of" would be good, too (if you can 😄 ); I keep reading it and I'm still not 100% sure my interpretation is correct (basically, not sure if using eBay's checkout flow as a guest would mean the transaction is ineligible for protection or not, since technically it's 'within' eBay o_O). 

Good luck with it, anyway. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

G'day Greencat ...

Hey, go for it. I picked it up on a forum somewhere (probably quicksales) ....

Yeah ... Confuzzled is really is so descriptive of my mental state at times when trying to decipher site policies  ... http://forums.llli.org/images/smilies/scratchhead.gif

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Digi ...

All of my Q's will be based on "inside & outside" .... http://www.llli.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Based on prior meets (I require the rep to confirm his answers in blood), it may need him to go back to superiors to get final definitions.

I always seem to get him out of left field with some queries.

Anything definite I get I will pass on ... I know you will make good use of it.    http://www.llli.org/images/smilies/highfive.gif

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply