Bank account name does not match eBay name

Just wondering how all those people like me who have bank accounts with Initials and Surname can ever manage to sell on eBay, if eBay insists that the name on the account must match the name on eBay down to the last letter.  I have accounts with two different major banks and both are the same format. They have chosen to set up all of their customer accounts in this way,  one claimed they use initials as some some sort of security measure, and they cannot change it. One even has me listed as Mrs Initials and surname.  Obviously, my name is not "Mrs".  It is the same on my credit cards. It seems like the process has to be matched by a computer and not a human. Surely when First initial matches first letter of christian name and address matches etc, then some sort of logic should prevail.  I am just wondering how many thousands of people are being prevented from ever selling on this platform because of this stipulation, and how much money eBay is losing because of it.

I would love to hear your opinions/experiences regarding this.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Our eBay names match our driver's licenses, but our bank accounts (with a credit union/small regional bank) all show our names with initials and surname only.

Between the two of us we have several eBay userids, and had no trouble with the verification process for any of them.

The linked account we use is actually a joint account, with both of our names (initials plus 2 different surnames, eg. J A Smith & J Jones) and was accepted with no problem whatever.

We used the micro-deposit system for verification of our bank accounts.

So I'm not sure why some people are having problems and needing their names to match exactly, and others (like us) have no problem with initials on the bank accounts.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

bmanly3
Community Member

I have 6 bank accounts and they all show full first name and surname without any initials. It is just like my license, first name and surname. I had no problems at all setting up my ebay account and full name was used with ebay, the banks and my ID. If something wasn't matching up then I would go directly to the bank and ask them to fix it. If that fails then I would open a new bank account and try again. Did you supply your full name with Drivers Licence number and state of issue to ebay? 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Our eBay names match our driver's licenses, but our bank accounts (with a credit union/small regional bank) all show our names with initials and surname only.

Between the two of us we have several eBay userids, and had no trouble with the verification process for any of them.

The linked account we use is actually a joint account, with both of our names (initials plus 2 different surnames, eg. J A Smith & J Jones) and was accepted with no problem whatever.

We used the micro-deposit system for verification of our bank accounts.

So I'm not sure why some people are having problems and needing their names to match exactly, and others (like us) have no problem with initials on the bank accounts.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

No, the bank won't change their policy on how they name the accounts. One of the banks I use is the largest one in Australia and I am Mrs to them.  I have not applied for selling , so have not supplied eBay with anything. Maybe there is no point if I am automatically locked out anyway because of this issue. Then there are the security concerns of putting all this personal detail online, which I am still carefully considering. (I guess everything is already online somewhere, even without input from us)

I am not sure which banks have full name on the accounts, but would consider it too much of an inconvenience to open yet another bank account just for this. These banks, are obviously not in my shopping centre.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you for your very interesting reply.  You must be one of the lucky ones, as so many stories of people not being able to register to sell because of this issue.  Many who are approved and then after selling items, money not passed on because once again they have to prove who they are multiple times and then it is still not accepted and they cannot get their money.

The world has gone mad.... my landline phone number is "invalid"  because it is not a mobile.  My address is invalid because it does not match, eg  Street is not recognized because it has to be "St" If I give my phone number out they insist on putting an 04 in front of the number, and therefore cannot ring it. Now I am reading about people having trouble with internet banking when transferring money because of the name does not match saga.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Your bank / credit union will not confirm to eBay that the name matches for this process.

You just need to pretend that your bank account name is the same as your eBay name.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

this reply not just about your issue, highlighting some madness in Victoria!

Before I verified my account with the whole ID/Bank/Licence thingy I changed my first name on my eBay accounts to the full length version of my name.  Didn’t have any problems with verifying on eBay because I sent scans of my DL.

Spoiler contains info about other ID verification issues I have had, a tale of warning for Victorians with "Mc" surnames.

Spoiler

I have had trouble with some other verifications.  Let me explain.  I am in Victoria (no secret).  I have a “Mc” surname (no secret).  When I got my Vic DL they put a space between the “MC” in my surname and the rest of my surname because it had a Capital letter.  So McCapital (not real surname) became “MC CAPITAL” on my DL.  They did this because when written as McCapital the surname is treated as two words because of the capitals.

This has never been a problem when verifying my ID ‘over the counter’, even to get a Passport or open bank accounts.  However, COVID has changed things.  More and more things are being done online, and when online verification of ID is required there is an issue when surnames don’t match exactly.  So, “MC CAPITAL” on DL doesn’t match “MCCAPITAL” on Medicare card.  The online data matching rejects the IDs supplied for verification.

I had trouble with MyGovID app verification and registering an account for the ServiceNSW app.

When I went to VicRoads to get the space removed, I ran into trouble.  To remove the space I needed to provide proof that there is no space in my surname.  They wouldn’t accept Medicare card, it had to be higher order proof like a current Passport or a Birth Certificate (certified extract).

All I had was a photocopy of a birth certificate from 30 years ago and 2 expired passports.  When I went to NSW Births/Deaths/Marriages website to get a new copy of BC they wanted me to provide ID.

Needed ID that matched, and expired passports are not accepted nor are non-certified copies of BC.

So, I can't get space removed on DL until I get new BC. Can't get new BC without getting DL changed which can't happen without BC.  I was stuck on a merry-go-round.

I went back to Vicroads with expired Passports and photocopy of BC and a screengrab of NSW BDM page showing ID needed for new BC.

I just looked at the lady and said "Can you see my problem".  She reiterated that current passport or certified copy of BC was needed, but she could see that was not possible and changed my DL.

Then the issue moved to my wife's DL. She can't get a BC with the Mc surname as she was born with a different surname.  Can't get a new BC until she gets licence changed and can't get that until she gets Marriage Certificate showing name change (she has an old certified BC).

I had to apply for MC using my new BC and DL with correct surname before she could get DL changed to get new BC.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

K1ooo, what a mess!  That sounds like a complete nightmare.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

My bank account name does not match - my name here.

Missing intitials etc...............missing title....................

But was totally accepted - micro thingys done - all good.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@veiled-lady wrote:

K1ooo, what a mess!  That sounds like a complete nightmare.

the VicRoads “Mc” surname space is a known issue, discussed on other forums.

I was told that they no longer put in the space. Didn’t help me as I changed from NSW to VIC over 30 years ago.

My gripe was that it was a problem of their making, not mine.  I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t just do it upon request.  Thank goodness it changed on my vehicle registrations as soon as it was changed on my DL.

Spoiler
as an aside, when I finally got my new NSW BC it had an error.  I was told:
- I had to apply to “Correct an entry” on downloadable paper forms
- I was to provide 3 pieces of (paper) certified ID
- proof that the error exists, and
- pay to have all that sent by registered mail, and return the BC that had the error

All for an error they made to an address when they digitised their records!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply