Best & cheapest way to post CDs

A friend of mine is re-jigging her ebay account with a new name and picture so she can sell some of her vast collection of CDs.

I've never sent a CD as far as I can recall, and as I only ever use prepaid satchels for my items, I don't know what the options are for postage.

A small padded bag I should think, but is that safe / padded enough?

A CD specific box? Once you wrap the CD in bubble wrap though, it wouldn't fit in the box I'd think. Or do you not need bubble wrap in that case?

Either way, you'd be paying for the bag or box, plus postage? And can you then get tracking as well? Is that another payment?

After all this, would it in fact be cheaper to just use a 500g satchel and fill the huge gap with bubble wrap? lol
Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Best & cheapest way to post CDs

@westcj wrote:

Not every song in the world is on Youtube, and I cannot think of anything worse than listening to music through a computer, especially when I have an expensive sound system - but I do  get your point and certainly online access of music has contibuted to the lack of demand for CDs

But you clearly don't understand the mentality of CD collectors.

Not sure what you mean by saying that records are only worth buying if they are new or in mint condtion - are you implying that you are extremely fussy about the condition of your records. I would have a very small record collection if I followed this rule! 

Why not connect your computer to your sound system I have and it makes the music sound better.

Yes I'm fussy as I don't like buying a used record to only find out it's scratched when I play it.

I am a collector of Mint condition records that have some value to them.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

I do own my personal record collection purchased over time brand new so still in great condition but like I said I wouldn't buy second hand records due to the unknown condition.

And I'm pretty sure that the new You Tube music does contain every song that's out there and I'm not trying to promote them either but it's out there for everyone to use.

I remember when DVDs were valuable and look what has happened to them.

A good record will always hold its value overtime than a CD.

Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

I am not really interested in connecting my computer to my stereo , just so I could listen to Youtube, although I am sure many would.

Do you ever buy second hand records from record shops where you can inspect  the records before you buy?  Buying only Mint condition records on eBay would be fraught with problems because many eBay record sellers have no idea how to grade the condition of a record.  You would really have to be buying only sealed new records to ensure the records were Mint

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

Everyone to their own I suppose.

Like I said I do have a collection that I purchased for my personal use over the years so they have all been played and are still in great condition.

The mint condition records I also purchased them brand new when they came out and have kept them in mint condition and there's the special mint condition records that I have purchased directly from the manufactures themselves from the USA which are all still in the original packaging.

Yes I always ask to listen to the record from a second hand dealer before I decide if I wish to buy it.

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

I agree , each to their own, although it is a unfortunate that that downloading pays the artist so pitifully. Australian musician Deborah Conway said  that she only received $2,300 for two million Spotify plays of a Bruce Springsteen song she recorded.

She would have received much more  if it was for CD single sales. 

I didn't know you could buy records directly from the manufacturer? What sort of records were you able to buy?

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

i've been wrapping mine when i sell them in two layers of sticky taped up news paper, for real. ive never had any complaints about it and theyve all gotten to the buyers addresses just fine.

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

used to like records but find them lame these days-

here's an interesting article

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-01/vinyl-sales-increase-but-does-music-sound-better-on-record/11...

Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

Hi,

I have some dumb questions. Do you use "Economy Air letter service, Large Letter 260 x 360 x 20mm (up to 125g  $2.20)" for posting a CD?  Can you still use this large letter service for overseas delivery (maybe at different rate)? Did the staff over the counter measure you package thickness by using a plastic board with a slot?

I tried posting a jewel case CD by putting it in envelope but I was told "my package's too thick to go through the slot''.....guess the slot is 20mm thick and I put too much bubblewrap in...

Really appreciate it if you could help answering my questions.

Cheers,

Leigh

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

My post office says no but others here have said their post office say yes.  The Australia Post website states that merchandise can no longer be sent internationally at letter rate and some ebay sellers have had letters returned to them by Australia Post for this reason. BUT if your post office says yes and you are willing to risk it then it must fit smoothly through the 20mm slot.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

I'll have to disagree there, I buy CDs AND records online as I have a CD player, amp and record player. I have also started selling CDs I pick up at op shops. it's a long road to work out what sells, but people still buy, oldies like me who haven't gone spotified yet. Some of my old CDs would sell for $50 + like Door door from boys next door, more obscure stuff seems the go, and other stuff like kids music, Kyle minogue, iron maiden and random stuff. Interesting, and also fun to listen to music you've never heard before (when testing CDs) now I know why the wiggles were so big...that's some catchy music going on there. 

Message 40 of 46
Latest reply