Best offer

drouin4
Community Member

Hi, just wondering if there is a rough percentage I should be take off when accepting offers.

I had a couple of offers on the weekend where the buyer offered $30 for items selling for $45 so I accepted them.

They then went on to offer me $20 and less for items selling for $45 which I did not accept.

Am I right in feeling a little offended that they would offer such low offers and expect me to sell to them.

They came across as offended that I didn not accept such low offers, more than 50% off my asking price.

Thankyou

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Best offer

I sell through other methods as well as on Ebay, & I constantly get offers at 25% of the selling price. These are always via email, but i don't waste my 2 seconds to give them a reply,  I just delete them as they are professional time-wasters. Or they say "what's your best price?" , so , if I am selling something for say, $100, I will tell them that MY best price would be around $800, but if I got $100 for it I would be happy. Leaves them confused, and they go away,  especially after not even seeing the item, or asking the right questions about it.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@drouin4wrote:

Hi, just wondering if there is a rough percentage I should be take off when accepting offers.

I had a couple of offers on the weekend where the buyer offered $30 for items selling for $45 so I accepted them.

They then went on to offer me $20 and less for items selling for $45 which I did not accept.

I know this post is a few days old now, but just thought I'd mention that often, if an initial low offer is accepted without any negotiation, the person making the offer will often wonder how much lower they could have gone and still have their offer accepted (and just in my personal opinion, a 33% discount is quite high, even if it equates to a low amount on its own).

If you get an offer that's in the realm of acceptable to you but it's still a big discount, it may pay to counter-offer even $1 or so higher just to avoid the first response being "what if I'd offered $20?". Even though it means the buyer pays slightly more than their initial offer, 9 times out of 10 they will be content that they got the best discount so don't regret not asking for a bigger one.

The actual percentage you're prepared to accept is entirely up to you, though. I haven't used best offer in a long time, but when I did I usually accepted offers between 10 and 20% off the asking price, sometimes with a little bit of haggling (they were all second hand items and I wasn't too sure about the market value, so I'd put them up at an optimum price and see how buyers responded). Other sellers will only knock off about 5%, or even less, as while 5% on the total price can seem low to a buyer, the seller is losing that from the profit which can itself be a very small percentage of the total. 

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

i had a message about an item i have listed asking if i would entertain an offer ( idont have offers ticked in the selling setup)

i messaged back i will allways consider a reasonable offer.

never heard back, i guess he knew his offer was going to be unreasonable lol

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I never use the Best Offer Option.

Makes it look like you are desperate. 

People still ask via Ebay message for a better price on some of the dearer items . 

When you reply , the Ebay has a Reply with Offer button , so that way the price offered ( if you feel like it ) is always in the Sellers control , not the Buyers.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I hate the fact that Ebay decides to 'accept offers' on my behalf. Most of the offers are less than half of my selling price. I actually find this so insulting, it has put me off from selling on Ebay. If i want to sell items cheaper, i will lower the price myself.
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@midnight1fantasy wrote:
I hate the fact that Ebay decides to 'accept offers' on my behalf. Most of the offers are less than half of my selling price. I actually find this so insulting, it has put me off from selling on Ebay. If i want to sell items cheaper, i will lower the price myself.

It is insulting and I haven't read of anyone yet who likes this new innovation.

They may be able to take it on themselves to 'accept offers' but they can't actually force you to sell your item at that price and if you don't want to, I wouldn't. I'd ring ebay to get them to look at the transaction and what you listed the item for and to check out that you didn't in fact tick any box that agreed to make an offer (double check you actually haven't before you ring).

Even if they still insist it is a sale, you don't have to go through with it.

There are other selling platforms like marketplace/FB that get quick results if your items are everyday things.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply