Beware scam phone calls supposedly from eBay customer support

Hi everyone - I received a telephone call this morning supposedly from eBay customer support. They informed me that 1 of my orders from 3 March has been returned to eBay head Office Sydney.

I have just spent the past 2 hours going through all my sales from March and the end of February, in eBay & PayPal & my webste, but can fnd no order corresponding to what they told me was on the invoice - they couldn't give me the buyers ID and wouldn't give me the address either. They then asked me if I would give them my address so they could return the supposed items to me - I said no.

I have spoken with Customer Support on the phone and they have verified that the call was from them but it came from an agent in the 'back office' and was a courtesy call only - they said that there was no Payment Summary in with the order - not true because I send one with every order that I mail out - that they can't give me the buyers address because that is an invasion on the buyers privacy but that they can ask me for my address because I am a seller.

I was going to close all of my eBay listings and my store at the end of April anyway, but because of this, I have done that already.

Good luck to all that are staying wth eBay, may you have lots and lots of sales - Sandra - downeyas 🙂

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I am a little perplexed.

How can it be a "scam call supposedly from ebay cust sup." if ebay confirm it's from them?

(Pity to see such a good seller leaving)

image host
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

They informed me that 1 of my orders from 3 March has been returned to eBay head Office Sydney.

That sounds suss. If the buyers correct address is on the parcel, why wasn't it delivered to them?

Was your address on the parcel as sender?

If there was no return address, I doubt AP staff would be 'guessing' where it should end up and send it to an address not on the parcel.

If a parcel of yours got lost around March 3, wouldn't the buyer have contacted you by now about it?

What phone number did you use to call Customer Support? One from the eBay website or one these strange people gave you?

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

read and reread makes no sense at all.

they have your phone number how?

ebay doesn't know your address?

returnned to ebayhead office, why/how/

wouldn't the address be on the package? oh so many questions.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

reading between the lines and I am probably totally wrong.

I think Sandra along the way twigged to a scam but only after she had spent plenty of valuable time looking for the

"sale' and then (maybe) rang back ebay on the number the "ebay support member' supplied (in the phonecall) ie

rang me back on this number "direct"

But when 'head office' answered but wasnt forthcoming with even a buyer user ID Sandra decided it was a scam and

refused to give her address.....

I think she is fed up and this elaborate new scam that half sucked in an experienced member was the last straw. So she

closed up a month early and will concentrate on her own website where she is more in control with one less worry

ie ebay scammers or scams that relate to an ebay account.

I wish you well Sandra and a zillion sales wherever you may be selling.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Don't mean to perplex you kopes - had already typed the first 2 paragraphs before I rang customer support 

This happening, has made me feel sick to my stomach, not sure why, but to me it was a total invasion to my own space - they already have my postal address etc, and all the questions they were asking me should have been knowledge to them already

Still have my website though lol - Sandra 🙂

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

I got them to call me - and yes, you are right AP staff wouldn't be guessing anything and yes my address was on envelope. I asked myself about that am*3, that the buyer would have contacted me - it all has me totally bamboozled
Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Yep, so many questions & no decent answer - they have everyone's phone number chrisco
Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Thank you colic2 - the only thing that u said wrong was that I rang them back on their number - I got them to call me. Yes, I am fed up with it all - calls from customers that can access my details too easily, and the forthcoming abuse - defect system, fee's, postage rises and so on.

My website is slowly getting busier and a zillion sales would be wonderful lol - Sandra 🙂
Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

thanks colic starting to make sense, so they are gleaming information for maybe ID theft.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply