Bit of a problem

drouin4
Community Member

I sold a new tablet nearly a month ago, only took it out of box to test and photograph. Worked perfectly.

Posted express to buyer in Australia, it sat at his post office for a week before he picked it up. Later I checked his feedback he is in Hong Kong with AU mailing address.

Now he is now claiming he resold it new to a NZ customer and apperently they said screen burnt out and wifi don't work.

Warranty is now nul and void as it was supposedly sold to NZ.

I have asked him 4 times for a copy of the NZ invoice, name and phone number, he is just beating around the bush asking where to send it back to me. Wont give me any info on them.

I don't believe this is the same tablet that I sold to him or even if he has resold it.

I called ebay and they said he has not sold 1 of my tablet models to anyone, NZ or anywhere. He sells tabs and phones on ebay.

When I told him I checked and none of my model tabs have been sold since mine he is now he is claiming he didn't sell it throught ebay. He still refuses to give me the details of the supposed NZ buyer.

I have all the serial numbers photographed of mine.

Ebay said to communicate with the buyer which I have done from the start.

Has anyone gone throught this sort of thing and what did you do.

Thankyou

Message 1 of 107
Latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Bit of a problem

I haven't but stick to your guns like you are.

It sounds suss and even if a genuine problem, there is no telling now what has happened to it during transit from him to his buyer.

If he checked it as he should before onselling and it was fine, the arrangement is now between him and his buyer.

Nothing to do with you anymore.

image host
Message 2 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

Tricky situation to be in. I'm quite sure others will certainly have more to add to this.

I'm guessing the buyer has not opened a formal return case against you as yet???

But be prepared for this to happen and get some things in place to protect yourself as best you can.

Did the express post have a tracking number that can be associated with the buyer's PayPal mailing address?

Did you photograph the package as it was sent showing the buyer's address on it?

If no then at least the suburb and postcode?

Does the tracking info show which suburb it was actually delivered to?

Collect this data and store it locally. Screen shots or similar will be OK.

Did you have any pic of the serial number you sent out in the listing itself?

Do you have an independent witness who would be prepared to sign a statutory declaration to say they know that it was working OK when sent and that the correct serial number was sent.

This is in case the buyer tries to return a broken unit that was not the one you sent out.

Do you have the weight of the package as you sent it out?

Just in case they should try to return an empty box to you.

Message 3 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

this is a story that really gets my angry nerve boiling.

why cant ebay step in and actually investigate this kind of dispute?

ask both parties to supply evedence,

eg: seller supplies photos of the item at time of listing, including photo of serial numbers.

then the same from buyer. photos of item recieved including all packing plus photos of serial numbers.

then make a determination of wether there is scope for item not as described.

i know it still wouldnt stop the buyer posting back a different item or an empty box but at least it would look like ebay was doing something beyond rubber stamping a return.

i also would hope ebay would read the communications as i believe in this case once the buyer on sold it the original seller was no longer responsible at all.

Message 4 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

All he has told me that he resold it to NZ. I don't know where it is now with them of him, won't tell me.

When I asked if he checked before to see if it was working as I did, he said no he didn't, I have message to prove that.

I have saved the Post Office screen details of the tracking and when it was sent and picked up. Also I did insurance and have the express post receipt.

He hasn't opened a case yet just asking for my address.

I have photos of all serial numbers and the photos were also on my listing.

He hasn't left me feedback yet and I haven't also because it seemed fishy right from the start.

Thankyou

Message 5 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

@juliew5030202 wrote:

I sold a new tablet nearly a month ago, only took it out of box to test and photograph. Worked perfectly.

Posted express to buyer in Australia, it sat at his post office for a week before he picked it up. Later I checked his feedback he is in Hong Kong with AU mailing address.

Now he is now claiming he resold it new to a NZ customer and apperently they said screen burnt out and wifi don't work.

Warranty is now nul and void as it was supposedly sold to NZ.

I have asked him 4 times for a copy of the NZ invoice, name and phone number, he is just beating around the bush asking where to send it back to me. Wont give me any info on them.

I don't believe this is the same tablet that I sold to him or even if he has resold it.

I called ebay and they said he has not sold 1 of my tablet models to anyone, NZ or anywhere. He sells tabs and phones on ebay.

When I told him I checked and none of my model tabs have been sold since mine he is now he is claiming he didn't sell it throught ebay. He still refuses to give me the details of the supposed NZ buyer.

I have all the serial numbers photographed of mine.

Ebay said to communicate with the buyer which I have done from the start.

Has anyone gone throught this sort of thing and what did you do.

Thankyou

Once the 30 day eBay MBG period to open a case, was up (only due to the lack of legality or due process of the decisions eBay seems to make through this process)  I would advise the buyer they had voided any warranty that you offered, or were obliged to offer, by reselling and sending the goods to another country. I would then end all communication with them.

As the goods were no longer in his care, it is not your responsibility, nor can the buyer vouch that no harm, or tampering, occurred to the goods.

If the story is true, its his problem, not yours.

If the story is not true, its his problem, not yours.

If the messages from the buyer came through eBay you have a level of evidence that the buyer resold the goods to put forward in a case if they open a paypal dispute.

Message 6 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

Thankyou, you have all been very helpful, I have all the proof I need. Photos, receipt, tracking, screen shots and his messages saved.

And if I get a package back I will be opening it in front of the Post Master.

Message 7 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

You haven't given him your address to send it back have you?

If not, then how is he going to send it back with all the tracking that is required?

Message 8 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

No I haven't given him my address.

Message 9 of 107
Latest reply

Bit of a problem

the post by thecatspjs is all you need to know and do.  kudos to cats for summing up everything in one post.

thecatspjs wrote:

Once the 30 day eBay MBG period to open a case, was up (only due to the lack of legality or due process of the decisions eBay seems to make through this process)  I would advise the buyer they had voided any warranty that you offered, or were obliged to offer, by reselling and sending the goods to another country. I would then end all communication with them.

As the goods were no longer in his care, it is not your responsibility, nor can the buyer vouch that no harm, or tampering, occurred to the goods.

If the story is true, its his problem, not yours.

If the story is not true, its his problem, not yours.

If the messages from the buyer came through eBay you have a level of evidence that the buyer resold the goods to put forward in a case if they open a paypal dispute.

Message 10 of 107
Latest reply