Blocked buyer still able to make contact

I thought the default was that a blocked buyer was unable to contact a seller.

I have a buyer who is still making contact even though they are on my blocked list (they do not have any transactions with me)

Have I missed a step somewhere?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

go-tazz
Community Member

Account > Site Preferences  > Buyer requirements,(at the bottom is a box you need to tick).

Don't allow blocked buyer to contact.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks Tazz - I checked and that box IS ticked, which is why I'm mystified

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Unfortunately, this setting does not actually block messages, what it does is remove the link to send a seller a question via listings, so if they have a means to message you (either from continuing to respond to previous messsages, or by using the 'contact member' link elsewhere), it will still come through.

After about 90 days, it becomes impossible to respond to old messages, so if that's how they are doing it, eventually they will hopefully be prevented from sending you anything, but if they are using the 'contact member' option, all you can really do is report and ignore. 

Edited to add - just had one other thought that might be worth testing, can someone with this setting in place and who has items for sale on their ID put me on their blocked bidder list (if I am not there already 😄 )? I want to see if the 'contact seller' link remains in the dropdown menu of a watched item, and what happens if I click it. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Didgi - you now have the honour of being on my blocked list.

Let me know.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Ok, so the 'ask a question' link is actually on all of the listings. If I click it, I get taken to a Q&A page, so if I select to view a topic, I get a button to continue on and send you a message, but when I click that I arrive at a page that tells me you're not able to respond to me and that I should review the listing for the answer I need.\

I added an item to my watch list, was able to select 'contact seller', and then either had to enter an item number or tick 'this is not about an item'. If I enter an item number, the same thing happens (can't actually send a message), but if I tick the box to say 'this is not about an item'....

Well, I sent a test message, and it told me it was sent, so if you get that in your inbox, I'd say the function to prevent buyers from contacting you is pretty half-a***d and almost useless. Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks Digi - yes, the message came though, unfortunately!

I'm noticing that the buyer is able to communicate with me because they are just replying to our previous correspondence before I added them to the blocked list.

So, the ability to block buyers messages is pretty useless.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

But as digi said, after 90 days they shouldn't be able to via that method they are using.

image host
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yes Ebay wrote to me that even though l have blocked my offending messenger, as they have already made contact with me l am unable to block them from any further messages, but l see the person comment about 'after 90 days' that cheered me up some!!! Ebay is monitoring my offenders messages....for future violations.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Another half-baked eBay system failure. They might as well do away with it altogether if it doesn't work.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply