Blocked buyer wants to purchase another item.

Last month a customer purchased an item and sent me a very dissatified message about how "cheap and nasty" the product was, and how they could have purchased the same item overseas for 0.99c instead of purchasing it from us for $9.95 with "free postage" ($7.35).

After requesting a photo of the item so I could determine the item's condition, they said they couldn't as they had cleaned it, and their camera could not take a close up of the item's faulty parts. At that time, I was going through some rough family issues, so to keep myself happy, I concluded from their description that it could have been a once off faulty product and refunded their payment fully without anymore questions asked.

I decided then to block them just for peace of mind, not thinking that they would want to purchase from us again. Today I received a message from them that they wanted to purchase an item but they couldn't.

Now, I do believe in second chances, so I am happy to sell to them again. However, this item is also a toughy. It is a nail polish that changes colours in direct sunlight. However I've had quite a few customers not use the item properly, so when it does not work for them, they go straight to the big red button, or PayPal dispute.

I'm very torn on what to do, so I'm wondering whether anyone has been through something simliar or what you would do in this situation?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I'd keep them blocked and tick the box that prevents them from contacting you.

I don't know either way who is in the right or wrong, but I've had people auto-blocked from bidding because of previous  non payments contact me wanting to bid (last time on a high priced item I sold for $700). 

IMO it's not worth the potential problems and the time you may well waste dealing with it.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I would let them buy elsewhere.

I like the way you set out your replies to negs. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I allowed a blocked buyer to purchase from me and it was a big error.

You blocked them for a reason so keep them blocked.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

does their feedback left for others or feedback from other sellers exhibit any unusual traits? ie a lot of INAD or seemingkly

poor mail security? If so then  would not sell. However if their feedback appeasr more "normal" then I would sell to them

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I'd copy the original message they sent you, and explain that as they clearly would have preferred a cheaper price from overseas on that item, they'd be better off trying to find one on this item, too.

THEN hit the "prevent member from contacting" button.

Under NO circumstances sell to them!

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I wouldnt sell to them in a fit. They sound like they where a pain in the butt first time around and now that they have been blocked, are likely to be even more difficult. It sounds like a big red dot and a defect in the making to me. I would just ignore their messages and not stir them up any more.

It would pay to check purchase postal addresses for the item they want in the next few weeks though as they may use another ID to make the purchase. If this occurs, contact ebay help on the phone and report them as they are not allowed to do this.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Just remember you blocked them for a reason. 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@maconii wrote:

Last month a customer purchased an item and sent me a very dissatified message about how "cheap and nasty" the product was, and how they could have purchased the same item overseas for 0.99c instead of purchasing it from us for $9.95 with "free postage" ($7.35).

After requesting a photo of the item so I could determine the item's condition, they said they couldn't as they had cleaned it, and their camera could not take a close up of the item's faulty parts. At that time, I was going through some rough family issues, so to keep myself happy, I concluded from their description that it could have been a once off faulty product and refunded their payment fully without anymore questions asked.

I decided then to block them just for peace of mind, not thinking that they would want to purchase from us again. Today I received a message from them that they wanted to purchase an item but they couldn't.

Now, I do believe in second chances, so I am happy to sell to them again. However, this item is also a toughy. It is a nail polish that changes colours in direct sunlight. However I've had quite a few customers not use the item properly, so when it does not work for them, they go straight to the big red button, or PayPal dispute.

I'm very torn on what to do, so I'm wondering whether anyone has been through something simliar or what you would do in this situation?

I would definitely not allow this buyer back

probably has taken exception to being blocked and just wants another chance to leave worse fb than last time

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Since eBay now pings us for any "defect" and we have zero power in relation to negative feedback for buyers, they can leave any unwarranted complaint, open disputes etc we now block all bidders who:

Leave Negative

Leave Neutral

Do not pay

Leave low seller ratings

Make email threats in relation to any of the above

Seems its the only way to ensure we are protected if these buyers want to buy from us again and with eBay's rediculous money holding and restrictions we can afford defects!

Maybe when these buyers can't buy anything eBay will realize their system doesn't work and is unfair!

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply