Brand missuse suggestions.

my-toys
Community Member

Hello,
I've listed this morning a train made by a brand called Roco. That brand together with most other brands -made in HO scale- run on what's called 2 rail DC. There are a few other systems around which are not compatible with each other despite the size being the same. That brand Roco and a few others make small quantities of trains for a brand called Marklin which runs on completely diferent track and power called 3 rail AC. To top it all up there are aftermarket  conversions too.

It was clearly stated on the listing that I was selling a Roco locomotive that will work "only" on Marklin systems. with the warning IT WON'T work on Roco Systems!!! The description was only two lines long so it was hardly open to miss interpretations.

Not having said it was made FOR Marklin and that it WONT work on Roco systems despite being made by Roco would have been missleading. Somebody searching for Roco loco would have bought it naturaly expecting it to run with their Roco trains to find out it doesn't! Later asking for a refund, probably leaving a negative etc, we all lose, buyer, ebay and me. It could neither be described as a Marklin Locomotive because it is not.

I am only getting rid of a few things I don't need anymore and I am glad I don't depend on this place as a source of income.

However, I am not happy at all about this. In the last couple of months I've paid to ebay and paypal at least $1000 in fees and I feel I deserve much better treatment than the rude, dead end email I've received. What would be the best way to lodge a formal complain about this? Call them, just reply to the mail, is it a waste of time?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Brand missuse suggestions.

So your problem isn't clear.  Did ebay pull the listing?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, they've pulled the listing deleting it and leaving no option to dispute it since now the proof of what the listing said it's gone. Thus not allowing anybody even at ebay to review the actions of the employee doing so, neither improving the training of the employee.

There would be lots of other situations where certain brands make accessories or spare parts for others like in the automotive industry and computer industry where seller will be mentioning other brands to indicate the compatibility of the product otherwise the buyer doesn't know if what they are getting will fit or work in their set up.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

You are able to mention that a brand is compatible with another brand in a listing, however there are very strict protocols for the situations that you are allowed to do this in, and if it is allowable rules about the way it is done, including how the exact wording must be ordered among others things.

Well worth reviewing carefully to ensure listings meet the requirements, policy at the link below: 

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/search-manipulation.html

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Hi,

I've reviewed the rules and my listing complied correctly with the rules and it shouldn't have been deleted.

I should send a complain I've paid enough for that but I've been busy and I am sure they only want to hear the silence of my credit card being debited when they invoice me.

For the moment I won't be selling and If do again I guess I'll have to start the description with a warning to ebay employes and a copy of their rules.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

How frustrating!

In your shoes I would be tempted to take a screen shot (screen capture/PrtScn) of any of my listings, just in case.

How do other sellers describe similar items? Would something like the following suffice in title or description? (I hope I have it right, I am not familiar with model trains sorry)

"3 rail AC version Roco locomotive made to run on Marklin"

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Hi,

Sorry I took so long to reply but I haven't been around ebay that much lately.

The title you suggest looks more tidy than what I recall writing but it is basically the same. It doesn't break the rules because the item was specifically made by Roco to fit a completely diferent system made by Marklin and it won't work on a Roco trainset. Yet my listing was deleted also erasing all the proof that I am right and the employee who deleted it did the wrong thing. That bit is what makes it very frustrating.

If you are in a similar situation I do suggest take a screenshot although it may not be of great help other than juyst complaining as I seriously doubt ebay management take their customers seriously enough to do something about employees that are damaging to their business.

I am about to write a complain about it but it is probably a waste of my time that could be better spent somewhere else.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply