Buyer Supplied Wrong mailing address, item sent and received what can i do?

Hi All,

Hope all is well,

This is my first post on the forum and i hope the community can help me out to sort this messy situation.

My problem is as follows

A buyer has bought some items with us and ebay suppied us with a shipping address as normal. the paypal payment had the same address so we sent the items to the address suppied from ebay/paypal.

Buyer has now contacted me stating that he has not receive the items and the address we sent the items to is his old address from 8 years ago?

Unfortunately the items sent has already been delivered to the ebay suppied address as we registered the parcel so there is a tracking number.

I tried to contact the buyer via phone the explian the situation, but got a mouthful of abuse from the buyer. Last words from him was its my fault fix it!! along with more abusive language.

Has anyone in the community have any simlar situation occur to them when selling, and if you did whats the best method of sorting this mess out.

advance thanks for everyones help

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

first of all, you are covered by paypal because you sent to the paypal address.

What happens next depends on the people now living at the address:   if it was registered how did they get to sign for it?   Initiate a query with Australia Post.

What should have happened is they declined the parcel and it was returned to you.

Ignore buyers rudeness and send a polite email saying you are following it up.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

its amazing  how a buyer would  think you should of known they changed address  8 years ago

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

if it was registered how did they get to sign for it?

Unless the person to person option is selected and paid for anyone at an address can sign for a parcel.

Just supply ebay or Paypal (whichever they choose to open a dispute with) with the tracking number showing it was delivered and you should be OK.

It is almost a given that they will leave you a neg but if they suffer from potty mouth in the feedback as they did in communication you should be able to get it removed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Just make sure you also have the lodgement receipt for when you lodged the item at your local PO.

This and the fact that you sent it with tracking to the address given by paypal means you have seller protection and will win any case that might be opened against you.

With a potty-mouth buyer like that I would not be too keen to make sure the buyer gets their item or refund either. It's their problem really. You have done all the right things as far as I can see.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I have had the very same thing happen in the past. How on earth are sellers expected to know the "new" address if it is not changed in ebay and paypal. We are not psychic.

You have nothing to fear except the obvious defect they will give you for their mistake. I would challenge that and get it removed because you did nothing wrong.

You have the proof you posted to the Paypal address, and as already stated - thats all you need.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

At the end of the day its the buyers fault as they have not updated thier address, so they can verbly abuse you and whatever, but it is their resposibilty to check the address details which are shown on checkout, so not your fault at all.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Some customer's just don't want to take responsibility for their mistake. Sorry you copped an earful.

When this happens I usually tell the customer that I will forward the parcel on to them if it is returned to me. And, if they believe they had deleted the old address or updated their PayPal details, then they need to contact PayPal and report the problem to them.

Fortunately, in my experience, most of the customers who send me the wrong address are very good about it.

If a customer is abusive I block them, and let the usual eBay/PayPal process take place. You can't reason with people who are not reasonable.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

just make sure you put her ID on your Block Bidder list NOW

O'wise she could buy another and mess you around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply