Buyer claim product dirty 3 weeks after received items

I just received message from a buyer who received the items 3 weeks ago.

'Before I leave feedback I wanted to let you know I received my skivvies but they had some stains on them so I'm not happy with my product.'

I have sold over 500 skivvies this winter, I always check every item before I send, this is the first time a buyer said it has problem. Of course I can't 100% guarantee every item is perfect, but why the buyer claimed it had stains 3 weeks after received items? Normally buyer should contact seller asap if there is any problems, right? I think it will be impossible to ask the buyer to show a photo to prove it. So what should I do? And what is the best thing I can offer the buyer? Thank you all.
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There's a few different ways you can handle messages like these, and the one you pick will depend on the most desirable outcome. 

If you suspect they're suggesting they'll leave a neg if they remain unsatisfied, you can simply take them at face value, put on your best customer service face and offer a resolution - in other words, are you prepared to take a hit (financially) to try and avoid a neg from a buyer, despite the circumstances being sus?

If you're not prepared to do that, then you can still remain polite and professional, and perhaps ask a few clarifying questions, and/or photo evidence (particularly if you have images of the actual skivvies the buyer was sent, so you can compare the two - I know that a lot can happen to a skivvy in 3 weeks so a photo won't prove the buyer is telling the truth, but asking them will help help show how determined they are, particularly if the claim of stains is a bluff). You don't have to offer them anything in your replies, just tell them you're concerned about it and would appreciate their assistance in determining the best course of action to take, and / or how this happened. 

One thing I have learned is that a lot of the buyers who have scammy tendencies, rely a lot on sellers not knowing exactly how to respond, they rely on them not having full confidence in the condition (or quantity) of the item when it was sent, and the seller not having a great memory for items involved in transactions a couple of weeks or more ago. The best protection you can get against these types of people is to eliminate (in as much as possible) doubt - eliminate doubt about how to handle specific situations, and doubt about the condition of your items. I developed a plan for what I was prepared to do in these kinds of situations, formulated some key responses that are adapted to individual messages as needed, and eliminated doubt by photographing exactly what was sent to someone alongside the addressed package. 

My replies are often instant, full of confidence, and provide very little leeway when I am 99% certain someone is lying to me. I am never accusatory, but I make it very clear I know that what they are saying they received does not match my (particularly meticulous) records, and provide an out since quite often they realise they're not in a position to attempt to challenge my facts (by providing an out, I mean I might say "is it possible you have confused me with another seller?" or something similar, or in this case I might be a bit more cheeky and say "is it possible someone else has worn or used the skivvies in the 3 weeks since receiving them, as my records show they were immaculate prior to sending?" 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I wouldn't do anything.

They haven't asked for a refund, they haven't opened a SNAD case, they haven't provided any evidence of claimed stains.

Regardless of what you do, you are likely to get a neg, so why left them shoplift. It sounds like they know they don't have a leg to stand on (even though eBay would side with them if they DID open a case) and are trying it on. (Or, they don't want to come to eBay's attention by opening too many claims)

Besides, are you selling for money or dots on a screen?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

The problem is eBay allow a buyer to complain 30 days after they receive an item and PayPal allow 180 days so the buyer is well within their rights to do this.

You either ask the buyer to return it for a refund or just refund the buyer your choice.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

The buyer doesn't seem to have formally asked for either (ie opened a case), so why encourage them?

They have hinted, which led me to my suppositions.

I certainly wouldn't put ideas in their head. But I sell for money, not dots.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@liquidationhouseffi wrote:

'Before I leave feedback I wanted to let you know I received my skivvies but they had some stains on them so I'm not happy with my product.'

I have sold over 500 skivvies this winter, I always check every item before I send, this is the first time a buyer said it has problem. Of course I can't 100% guarantee every item is perfect, but why the buyer claimed it had stains 3 weeks after received items? Normally buyer should contact seller asap if there is any problems, right? I think it will be impossible to ask the buyer to show a photo to prove it. So what should I do? And what is the best thing I can offer the buyer? Thank you all.

I'm like davewil in that I think the buyer is trying it on a bit to see what you will do. They're hoping that maybe you'll just refund partially or in full.

They are sort of hinting that you have a chance to make them 'happy' before they leave feedback.

But they haven't opened a case, they never contacted you when they received the items.

I would not be refunding a cent unless they open a formal case and ebay forces you to.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Well my thoughts on this would be to say to them "I check everything before it leaves ... so could you upload a quick photo so I can see the stains too) & then i can refund you! Because in my opinion it's not worth risking a negative feedback that'll stay for a year - just give them their money back after they've shown you the photo! You cant win 'em all on Ebay! And a partial refund (or full with photo!) -will make for a happier customer! That's just my opinion!

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Negative feedback generally is a reflection on how the seller handles a transaction. In this case a response of '3 weeks after' would probably suffice to show the non-validity of the neg.

I ask you - do you sell for money or dots?

There seems to be an obsession with avoiding negs at any price. Why?

Admittedly, I've never had one in 3000 odd transactions, but I doubt my attitude would be any different...

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@liquidationhouseffi wrote:

I'm with the others. No refunds unless forced by eBay. My guess is they've been worn and someone has spilt something on them and can't get the stain out.

I would reply with something like: "Hi <buyers name>. Thank you for your message. I'm sorry you feel your items aren't up to scratch. All my items are checked prior to packaging by my Quality Assurance team to ensure they are 100%. In regards to the feedback, you are free to leave whatever feedback you deem appropriate. Kind regards, <your name>" PS: Bite me!

A message something like that shows them that you aren't scared of their threats of bad feedback. So many buyers think a threat of a negative will have you throwing everything at them. Call their bluff. If they do leave a neg, give a professional reply. No abuse or name calling. There's nothing worse than a scorned seller screaming "deadbeat scammer!". Something like "<buyers user ID> sorry it took 3 weeks to find an issue". 

Does their feedback left for others indicate that are unlucky buyers that get lots of refunds or items that aren't up to scratch?

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

There's a few different ways you can handle messages like these, and the one you pick will depend on the most desirable outcome. 

If you suspect they're suggesting they'll leave a neg if they remain unsatisfied, you can simply take them at face value, put on your best customer service face and offer a resolution - in other words, are you prepared to take a hit (financially) to try and avoid a neg from a buyer, despite the circumstances being sus?

If you're not prepared to do that, then you can still remain polite and professional, and perhaps ask a few clarifying questions, and/or photo evidence (particularly if you have images of the actual skivvies the buyer was sent, so you can compare the two - I know that a lot can happen to a skivvy in 3 weeks so a photo won't prove the buyer is telling the truth, but asking them will help help show how determined they are, particularly if the claim of stains is a bluff). You don't have to offer them anything in your replies, just tell them you're concerned about it and would appreciate their assistance in determining the best course of action to take, and / or how this happened. 

One thing I have learned is that a lot of the buyers who have scammy tendencies, rely a lot on sellers not knowing exactly how to respond, they rely on them not having full confidence in the condition (or quantity) of the item when it was sent, and the seller not having a great memory for items involved in transactions a couple of weeks or more ago. The best protection you can get against these types of people is to eliminate (in as much as possible) doubt - eliminate doubt about how to handle specific situations, and doubt about the condition of your items. I developed a plan for what I was prepared to do in these kinds of situations, formulated some key responses that are adapted to individual messages as needed, and eliminated doubt by photographing exactly what was sent to someone alongside the addressed package. 

My replies are often instant, full of confidence, and provide very little leeway when I am 99% certain someone is lying to me. I am never accusatory, but I make it very clear I know that what they are saying they received does not match my (particularly meticulous) records, and provide an out since quite often they realise they're not in a position to attempt to challenge my facts (by providing an out, I mean I might say "is it possible you have confused me with another seller?" or something similar, or in this case I might be a bit more cheeky and say "is it possible someone else has worn or used the skivvies in the 3 weeks since receiving them, as my records show they were immaculate prior to sending?" 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Everybody, I really feel appreciated for spending so much time to help me with this issue. I will think about it carefully, and choose a proper reply.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply