Buyer claimed not to recognise transaction, got item and money back

Hello,

Sorry for the long backstory. 

I refurbish and resell older laptops as a little hobby and never had a dispute against me until now. One of my laptops sold to someone with a 0 feedback score so I had a feeling there would be troubles from the start. Before sending, I took lots of photos and marked the inside of the laptop in a few places. The laptop was sent with tracking and signature on delivery. Of course, a few days after the item was sent I got a notification the the Buyer didn't recognise the transaction and my payment was on hold. All eBay asked me for was the tracking details for their investigation and the item was delivered that same day. 

I messaged the buyer and he said that he had the laptop and it was great, he even wrote positive feedback. I asked him why he filed a dispute and he said it must have been an accident......but the dispute was still active. A few days later, eBay released my funds to me and this morning I got a message saying that eBay found in his favour and he'd get his money refunded (also means he keeps the item) but I was covered so eBay ends up losing out. 

What I'd like to know is would eBay file a police report and get them to visit the address it was sent to or do they just suck it up and take the fraud? He either stole someone's banking details and when these people realised what happened they filed a claim with their bank or he just knew that eBay wouldn't care about refunding his money. I have my money so I'm all good but I'm just intrigued to know how people get away with this stuff, especially since the item was sent to and accepted at a physical residential address. 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

There's no way to really know how eBay can or will contest a chargeback, as it would depend on their contracts with payment processors etc. I suspect for low value orders, they just wear it, for higher value orders they would be more inclined to contest if they had compelling evidence - their policies state that sometimes, after a dispute has closed, they might come back asking for more info from a seller, which is likely there for the times they do contest a chargeback (this can actually take a couple of months). There would be a cost - benefit ratio where orders under a certain value just aren't worth investing in fighting a claim. They would, however, have access to far more information about a buyer than the average seller receives, though (personal info, IP addresses, whether that card / PayPal account etc has been used for many previous purchases from the same account at the same IP address and the orders were all going to the same delivery address etc, which would help them make a much more compelling case than any of their sellers could).

The main problem (in general) is the laws card providers have to uphold when unauthorised use chargebacks are filed, which do make fighting them very difficult, another big issue is payment processors forcing that liability onto the sellers in card-not-present transactions (i.e. generally speaking, where the card can't be physically sighted by the seller). 

A very eBay-specific issue, which may not be all that relevant to your case, is the change in payment records / details once sellers migrate over to managed payments. For years, when a buyer has purchased from an eBay seller, the records say "payment to [seller name]". When a seller switches to MP, it just says "payment to eBay", and PayPal records don't even have seller or item details. I feel like this is a recipe for disaster, as some people just won't automatically twig or connect the dots, instead they'll just wonder why the heck there's a debit from ebay for $X. For a larger purchase, maybe this won;t be an issue - if I buy a laptop on eBay for $784.99 and see that "eBay charge", I'll know straight away. If someone is buying multiple items consistently and in amongst a bunch of transactions they recognise immediately / intuitively, then see "eBay" $20, they might not even think to check if it matches with something in their purchase history. These lower-value transactions are also less likely to have tracking. 

Anyway, you can report the buyer yourself to ACSC, if you want to - as there was no financial loss, they won;t do anything for you, but the report will go into their database regardless. Info is typically shared with police so the buyer will be on record as an involved party, and may even wind up on someone's radar if they rack up multiple reports. 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Good advice thank you, unfortunately I did have a buyer purchase a relatively small item $9,95 that was sent using stamps so no tracking. At that price or less tracking is not viable. the buyer filed a dispute as "transaction not recognised" with their bank.

Ebay's process requires a tracking number to challenge the dispute, no tracking number means ebay find in favour of the buyer automatically. I lost the goods, postage charge and a $22 fee added for the trouble.

Be aware Ebay state they can't fight it as it is the payment/card provider that charge this.

I was told by Ebay to chalk it up to experience, nothing they can do. If it happens again I just have to accept it and refund the buyer to avoid a $22 charge or add tracking to every sale regardless of profitability. 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply