Buyer claiming product is fake.

Would be great if someone here can offer a word of advice.
I sold a few tcg booster box to a buyer in sealed mint condition. The buy has now requested a refund saying that the product is fake and opened. I have all the invoices of where i purchased it from and they are from offical retailers on the games website. I also shipped it with tracked postage.
Should i be worried about being scammed by the buyer or will ebay have seller protection or anything like that?

Greatful for any response
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If the buyer opened a Not As Described Case then you should accept the return & provide a label.

Any motivated buyer/scammer may scam you... you won't know until the item is returned.

Do not refund without return.

If you are only selling one item you should not show a photo of more than one...jmo

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Will i still need to provide a refund if my items are not returned as the original condition?

I will keep that in mind for future, but depending on how this goes might never use this website again, or just sell within Australia only.

I also sold the same product to someone else and they had no issues does that support my case?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If you sold the item in question to an overseas buyer, you cannot issue a return label.

All you can do is respond to the case and tell the buyer to return it.

You can look into a reduction in value/refund, depending on what the condition is like when you get it back.

Overseas buyers may get put off when they see how much it will cost them to return tracked (as per Ebay requirements).

Don't communicate further with buyer unless it is to tell them to return for a refund.

Selling in Australia only does not mean you'll never get scammed.

Selling on another platform does not mean you'll never get scammed.

Risk is everywhere.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

It was sold overseas but when i go to resolve it it says i need to upload the return label?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I'm sorry and I might be wrong but when I get a request for a return or refund even for item not as described it must be returned to me in the same condition as it was sent to the buyer otherwise I don't accept the return.

So you posted the items unopened and the buyer is saying it was opened so I'd be contacting ebay and stating this fact with your photos and telling ebay that fact.

I have a feeling this buyer perhaps thinks you are just going to refund them without them having to return the items and hopefully get to keep them and the money.

I'd be very wary of a return as you may receive used items instead of what you sent.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I agree, I would not just lay down and accept INAD. If you listed correctly, and have proof of purchase from the Legl distributor of said item, I would be fighting it.

You may lose the case, but the buyer will have some hoops to jump through first, rather than just get what they want right now.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@tokyotosydney wrote:

It was sold overseas but when i go to resolve it it says i need to upload the return label?

Does it not give you an option that says something like "I will resolve this another way" or something like that? Last time I had an INAD request, from memory there were 3 options I had to select from, one was for the buyer to get a label through eBay and charge it to my account, one where I upload a pre-paid label, and one where I basically had to arrange for return postage directly with the buyer (this wasn't an international sale, but that option should especially be available in that case, since you can't purchase a label for them as mentioned).

If it won't let you proceed without upoloading something, I'd honestly try upolading a document that just displays my return address, and explain in the resolution centre why. 

The case needs to be handled delicately because if the buyer has the opportunity to escalate to ebay, they might be given a full refund without being required to return the item - I try to put the ball back in the buyer;s court as much as possible, to minimise this risk, but with a high value item you could try chatting with eBay and explaining the evidence you have. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@instylecollectables wrote:

I'm sorry and I might be wrong but when I get a request for a return or refund even for item not as described it must be returned to me in the same condition as it was sent to the buyer otherwise I don't accept the return.

So you posted the items unopened and the buyer is saying it was opened so I'd be contacting ebay and stating this fact with your photos and telling ebay that fact.

I have a feeling this buyer perhaps thinks you are just going to refund them without them having to return the items and hopefully get to keep them and the money.

I'd be very wary of a return as you may receive used items instead of what you sent.

It doesn't matter one iota what the buyer sends back because eBay will say as the physically don't see the item they must side with the buyer despite their policy stating otherwise.  I had a an idiot claim SNAD, wrong size bs, sent back a completely different item. Guess who eBay sided with ..... the buyer, despite me uploaded pics of my item and what was sent back to me.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply