Buyer claims item not received

Hi folks, would appreciate some thoughts / advice on this one.

I recently sold a ring for $50. I posted it over the counter at AP in a plain envelope (the ring was inside a ring box & wrapped in tissue paper) for standard parcel delivery. I have a receipt with a tracking number. I was a bit rushed that day so marked it on eBay as posted but didn't upload the tracking number (silly me!).

The buyer contacted me first on Wed to say he hadn't received it. I checked the tracking & sent him the number in a message - it was still in transit. Yesterday he contacted me to say the postie knocked on his door & handed him my envelope which had been partially opened (clean looking cut on one end) with nothing inside. He sent me a photo of the envelope. The AP website says the parcel has been delivered.

I've looked for info on websites and made some phone calls. AP say he will need to lodge a complaint with them, taking in the envelope so they can invetsigate (I can't initiate it as I don't have the envelope). Paypal say a claim can be lodged under buyer (seller) protection. I've advised him to lodge a complaint with AP and perhaps initiate an item not received claim in the resolution centre.

Today he has said he doesn't have time for that, it wasn't safe to send the ring in a "plain un-reinforced envelope" and at the end of the day he's paid for something he didn't receive. He's asking me to just refund him today.

I've sent items through AP for years with no issue. The other items I sent around the same time seem to have all arrived without incident. My feedback is excellent and I feel like I'm being held to ransom with the looming threat of negative feedback.

From my perspetive, although I don't believe he's lying, I have proof of it being sent and tracking to say it's been delivered. I want to help him resolve this but it's now got difficult if he refuses to do anything.

Lots of lessons for me in this one but could use some words of wisdom to consider please. Anyone?

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Buyer claims item not received

Don't fall for this. This is an ebay violation. buyer's can't insist on getting refunds in favour for leaving positive feedback. 

Just ignore this buyer. You need to follow proper protocol. Let him leave what ever feedback he wants. If he wants

to put a claim in through paypal, you will win your case because you have the tracking number. 

I have bought heaps of things that come in envelopes, and they are not broken open. 

Aust post don't do that to the postage. 

I would not converse with him, because he sounds like he has done this before.

You need to place this dispute in the hands of ebay and paypal, I promise you they will make the right decision, they have heard of these antics and many more like it before on a daily basis. They will know what to do.

Message 31 of 35
Latest reply

An ordinary paper envelope will be more prone to spliting than a padded mailer bag. The mailer bag is lined with the plastic bubble wrap and the edges are sealed. I have never seen one split.

The paper envelopes are low quality now, even if you buy more expensive ones from AP or a newsagent. I sent a birthday card to a small child recently with a flat balloon in it and the child's mother said the envelope was split when it arrived.

Message 32 of 35
Latest reply

Has he lodged the claim with paypal?

Because if he does, the outcome will be in your favour, and when it is, you can ask ebay to kindly remove the

negative feedback. They will remove it, when the paypal claim is made in your favour, so hang int there is will

most likely be removed. 

You can also respond to his feedback in the meantime. Tell it like it is. Put in the response that this person is a scammer

and tried to blackmail you with negative feedback. Your buyers will read this and will understand. 

You can also leave feedback for him, whilst it wil be positive, you can still put comments in the comments section

to say he was a scammer.

You can also report him to ebay for the ebay violation, ebay can view all emails that go back and forth and if 

they see someone using extortion they will act.

So you have a few avenues to pursue, and your negative feedback may stil be removed. 

Contact ebay and let them know what has happened, they are very helpful.

Message 33 of 35
Latest reply

I am so glad, I knew ebay would decide in your favour.

Go to Kmart and buy a pack of 4 padded envelopes for $2.00, that is only 50 cents each, They are as good as the ones

from the post office, (which are $1.20 each) they have them in smaller size and a4, I have been useing the smaller ones for years and no issues.

Message 34 of 35
Latest reply

@mitbri wrote:

You can also leave feedback for him, whilst it wil be positive, you can still put comments in the comments section

to say he was a scammer.

Very bad advice that sentence (the rest of your messages were good though). It is an eBay violation to leave a negative comment under a positive dot for a buyer. If the buyer reports the OP for doing that, she can have her account shut down. Yes, people do leave false positives at times, but it doesn't mean it should be encouraged.

A seller is far better naming the buyer in their reply to the feedback the buyer left.....unless there is a chance eBay might remove it. In that case, best leave it blank as it's harder to get feedback removed that has been replied to. 

Spoiler
(sits back and waits for another member to drop an I told you so on me for suggesting a seller name the buyer in theor reply!!! :P)
Message 35 of 35
Latest reply