Buyer claims they have not received one of the items. Advise needed!

A buyer made two seperate transactions on the 9th of August, but over the weekend I received an email from the customer after nearly a month claiming that one of the two items they have not received.

I always post multiple items purchased together and I remember sendin both items to the customer. I find it a bit odd that it has taken the customer this long to contact me about the missing item. Am I dealing with a dodgy customer?

Any ideas on what I should do or how to respond back to the buyer?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

did you have tracking or signature  

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

The parcel didn't have tracking or signature as it sent as standard postage. In the customers email they mentioned the parcel arrived in a few days & the items I sent to them were 2 pairs of earrings so I'm not sure why they expecting them to be posted seperatly.
Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

how did you pack them? could they have thrown one lot out with the packaging?
Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the buyer made 2 separate transactions then you should have sent the in two separate parcels.  The buyer was probably waiting to see if the second parcel turned up.

I have a similar situation at the moment...paid for 2 items from a seller in the USA.  I was notified of a few days delay in the despatch of one of the items.   The first one turned up last week but the customs declaration say both are in the one parcel.  I am now waiting a few days before contacting the seller to see if the second item arrives.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

the trouble is ebay require either tracking or signature  other wise you cant proove to ebay you sent them . you would then loose the case , also in tracking you would also have a weight on it , so it would be easier to tell if 1 or 2 items were in the parcel unless the did not weigh much.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

@amesbury_design87 wrote:
The parcel didn't have tracking or signature as it sent as standard postage. In the customers email they mentioned the parcel arrived in a few days & the items I sent to them were 2 pairs of earrings so I'm not sure why they expecting them to be posted seperatly.

At this stage, I would just confirm that both pairs were sent in the same package, so should have arrived together, but if that is not the case you will require some additional information to determine what may have caused the issue in order to resolve it ASAP, and - if necessary - file the appropriate reports (i.e. if you sent two pairs of earrings in a single package and only one pair arrived, then the package was either damaged or tampered with in transit, which will require a formal investigation with Australia Post). 

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

how is aus post going to investigate an article that has no tracking on it . its in an envelope.

as lyndal said ,it should of been separate parcels if not  did the seller give back the postage on one of the items, prob not , 

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

,it should of been separate parcels if not  did the seller give back the postage on one of the items, prob not , 

There is no "should have" here, at all.

First of all, the OP uses free postage, so there's no postage (as such) to refund, no matter how they are sent. Secondly, sending items in separate packages only comes into play if the seller wants to qualify for seller protection (which is more related to chargebacks than it is INRs or INADs) - it is not a requirement in the sense that separate purchases are supposed to be shipped separately, no matter what. And besides which, if the seller is using standard postage methods that can't qualify for seller protection anyway, it will make no difference whether they are sent separately or together.

As for Australia Post - you can most certainly file reports regarding lost, missing and damaged mail, or mail that has been tampered with, regardless of the service used. Even if they have less information than usual to go on, some of the requirements for filing a report including providing the recipients name and address, and that helps Australia Post to detect if there are any patterns with processing, and/or delivery issues in certain areas, or to specific people.  

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

so you are saying there is such a thing as no postage., does that mean if i send an item back as not as discribed ,the post office wont charge me because it had [free postage on it on ebay]  please.    and now you are saying tjat if i contact aust post and say excuse me madam but on the 1/4 /2015   i sent an envelope to 29 bla st bla bla , could you tell me if that envelope was damaged.   and the lady at aust post would say , i will check.  ok   that day we had 22,567  letters  , was your letter a white envelope. mmmmmmmmmm

some people dream too much    have a lovely day

no such thing as free postage , and if there is please tell me how, unless you use used stamps.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply