Buyer filed a dispute / chargeback with their bank as they don't recognise the transaction

I received an email informing me of this dispute today, 18 December. This is the first time I've experienced this in 5 years, and I'm aware that I am eligible for seller protection, however the buyer's purchase transaction took place on 14 September, so just over 3 months ago. And I cannot view the sale details for items sold over 90 days ago to gather the proof I need of tracked delivery confirmation, etc.

How do I respond and prove this was a proper sale / purchase if I can't access the transaction details? Is that why the buyer has taken this long to file the dispute? Why did they not notice it months ago if they didn't recognise the transaction? Why not check their ebay account to see what they had purchased? 

Help! 

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Buyer filed a dispute / chargeback with their bank as they don't recognise the transaction

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:

Wow! I have never had that happen! Everything always shows as delivered, and usually pretty promptly. Occasionally some have taken a while and gone back and forth between various mail sorting centres, but they show all the tracked steps and then finally, delivered.

And when I say the initial lodgement scan, make sure it is thru the EPOS terminal, and not their hand scanner.   And get a receipt.  You may gather I know a little about the system.

And yes the bouncing around can be fun,  I currently have one (express post)  from melbourne to Albury.   So far it has visited sunshine 3 times and Melbourne airport 3 times,   just wondering if it will go via sydney or up the hume next.   

Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

Re: Buyer filed a dispute / chargeback with their bank as they don't recognise the transaction

Ugh! So much bouncing! I literally cannot understand what they do sometimes!

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

"You may gather I know a little about the system."

Good to see if nothing else your honest.

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:

Thank you!

I've been using prepaid satchels for the 5 years I've been selling. I don't have a printer and never use a computer so I don't use the ebay labels. I do keep records of my "sender to keep" stickers, though usually if there's a problem, it will occur within 3 months, so I can access the transaction.

Just in case you do get a printer,  or anyone else reading this.   Don't use the Ebay labels,  signup for mypost decent savings on parcel post.    I think I am saving around 15% if you average out across the zones.  Could be more, as I am getting 30% on zone 1, 

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

You've been around long enough to know how things work. You buy an ebay label, shove your used clothing into a satchel and then chuck it in a red box? WHY would you do that? You're going to the PO to post in the red box. Why not do the 2.5 minutes inside and get the item scanned? Then you're covered. As you've been around long enough to know the drill, I have no sympathy. Refund the buyer and be done with it.

Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

I just chatted with ebay live chat, and he gave me the tracking number (which yes, has expired), and he also gave me a link that let me see a kind of archived / saved record of the transaction, confirming it was delivered on 21 September.  Goodo.

Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

Firstly, I don't go anywhere near the post office as the Aus Post boxes near me are in various other directions, and a lot closer (I don't drive). I also plan ahead and post parcels in boxes that are somewhere further away (such as a shopping centre or a street in a different suburb) if I know I'm going to be there anyway.

Even if I had posted this parcel in a post office and had it scanned over the counter and given a receipt, I still most likely would not have kept the receipt for over 3 months (which would be my fault, yes).  And the tracking details would still be inactive now as they expire after 60 days.

Lastly, I do not need to refund the buyer as ebay provided me with the proof that the item was delivered, I responded to the dispute, challenging it, and already received confirmation that no funds will be deducted.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

Good outcome!

Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

Thank you! I am pleased, and now I know what to do if this happens again! 🙏

Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

Ebay may have said no funds will be deducted, but what did the buyer's bank say? Bank chargebacks are out of ebay's hands. If the bank says the chargeback is warranted, ebay is forced to take the money.

As for receipts, I keep them for 6 months. While you may not be able to access the tracking after X amount of time, AP certainly can. 

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply