Buyer has asked for a refund prematurely

Hi everyone

I have a buyer that purchased an item off me on Tuesday 28th June and I posted the item that afternoon and it should have left our post office the next day.The item is less then 20mm thick so I sent as a large letter with no tracking (not good for me)  On Monday the 4th July they send me a message stating that they have not received the item, I sent back a message saying that the item was sent standard delivery not express and we are still with in the eBay expected delivery dates of 5th - 8th July, and I also explianed that I live in regional Qld and postage may take a few extra days so be patient. 

Then on Thursday 7th I get another message saying still no item I should have this by now, I sent back asking them to wait a couple more days and if it doesn't show up I will post another one , then today I get multiple messages demanding their money back as they are going on holidays and won't be back for 6 weeks and want the money back and issue resolved before then.

I have not had to do many refunds or returns and have not had many postage issues other than being very slow sometimes, they are threatening to open up a dispute , I don't want or need any bad feedback but don't want to just give in as I think they are being unreasonable.

I am always fair when dealing with buyers and always offer a refund or a replacement but it has only been 8 working days since the purchase, what should I do any advice would be appreciated.

Brett

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I notice you said the buyer is threatening to open a dispute, have a read of this link, sadly it is all i can offer for now as its late, hopefully someone else comes along and can assist you further.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buying-practices.html
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Sorry not sure how to deal with a buyer like that, would say to them happy to refund once you return the item to me, as is out of my control item is in the hands of Oz post, and will be delivered at a undertirmed date, bit of subject see you carry H series holden master cyl. going to mark that one as fairly certain going to need one for the project tonner.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I would say it sounds like extortion. ie making a threat to get a refund or they will open a dispute.

To do this is against ebay policy as outlined earlier.

Since you mailed with no tracking then you are going to lose any case opened up against you and will have to refund anyway.

So I would call their bluff and let them go ahead and open the case. At least this way it is officially on their buying record.

You can then choose to issue the refund via the case before it is escalated. This way ebay has not been asked to step in and no defect will be recorded against you as you have resolved the case to their satisfaction without ebay stepping in.

If they are going away for 6-weeks they may not respond to any messages you leave them via the case. eg request for validation of correct address or ask if it may have been collected by a neighbour or friend. Any message you send back to the buyer thru the case always puts the ball back into the butyer's court and the case status is awaiting response from the buyer. Don't let it go the other way (ie awaiting response from seller) as it will time out against you.

If you can string this out for 30-days whilst they are away the case will auto-close without any repercussion to you or refund issued.

Of course keep in mind that they can still open up a case with PayPal for up to 180 days.

In all this delay the item is likely to arrive, although you will have no proof of that without tracking.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I would say it sounds like extortion. ie making a threat to get a refund or they will open a dispute.

To do this is against ebay policy as outlined earlier.

Since you mailed with no tracking then you are going to lose any case opened up against you and will have to refund anyway.

So I would call their bluff and let them go ahead and open the case. At least this way it is officially on their buying record.

You can then choose to issue the refund via the case before it is escalated. This way ebay has not been asked to step in and no defect will be recorded against you as you have resolved the case to their satisfaction without ebay stepping in.

If they are going away for 6-weeks they may not respond to any messages you leave them via the case. eg request for validation of correct address or ask if it may have been collected by a neighbour or friend. Any message you send back to the buyer thru the case always puts the ball back into the butyer's court and the case status is awaiting response from the buyer. Don't let it go the other way (ie awaiting response from seller) as it will time out against you.

If you can string this out for 30-days whilst they are away the case will auto-close without any repercussion to you or refund issued.

Of course keep in mind that they can still open up a case with PayPal for up to 180 days.

In all this delay the item is likely to arrive, although you will have no proof of that without tracking.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

you have highlighted a spreading problem here on ebay.

that is if a seller chooses a cheaper option of postage without tracking they leave themselves open for an item not recieved dispute and most likely will have to refund never knowing was the item actually delivered and now the buyer has his item and his money.

selling low value items on ebay is becoming unwise, if you use tracked mail the whole price to the buyer becomes too much and they dont buy.

is this buyer 'trying it on' i dont know, but without proof of delivery we wont know.

it does seem to be a growing problem for sellers

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks

some very good info there 

I still think the item will be delivered some time this week so let's hope it is Monday 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

if choosing the cheaper "letter rate" postage, send it registered at least you are covered.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

How I would act woulld depend on the profit margin of the item. If I could send a replacement item as a registered letter without me losing more than a couple of cents then that is what I would do then if they open a dispute you just give ebay or Paypal the tracking number and you are covered.

They would then have to open an item not as described dispute and a phone call to ebay detsiling how they wanted to get a refund for non delivery even though you had tracking, if you get the right customer service rep they willl find in your favour.

If they are genuinely going away for six weeks then chances are they will not be able to go through the not as described process especially if you drag things out as long as possible.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I hope you're using "priority" stickers (50c).

AP now delays delivery without them.

I had a few complaints about the extended delivery times when these stickers were introduced and I never applied them.

No complaints on letters since I started using them.

In this situation, I would personally just refund and block them.

Be done with it and move on.

There is no tracking so you will end up refunding whether it arrives or not, or whether they ADMIT it has arrived or not. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply